Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

tomatoes: to prune or not to prune
I live in Boulder, CO, and my Early Girl Improved (planted in late May) is huge and dripping with green tomatoes. However, as August approaches, the plant seems to produce more and more green fruit,...
1
1

Newbie veggie gardner begs for help
Hi everyone. Im a first time veggie gardner trying to grow some peas, baby bush watermelons and cucumbers. Im noticing that every so often I will come across a young leaf that looks like the top has...
1
1

growing dandelion
Hey all, ok I know this sounds a bit insane to some of you but dandelion is VERY tasty and I was wondering if anyone here had ever tried growing it?
7
7

More ignorant newbie questions
Hey all, I am not really in to using pesticides on my plants but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to do a "pre-emptive strike" on my veggies to keep the nasties away? thanks dave
10
10

Couldn't be much more of a newbie... need some advice :)
Hey all, been doing a bit of lurking here and you guys are all great, almost any question I have had is already answered :) So this is my first year growing ANYTHING but lo and behold, I absolutely...
12
12

how to prune fig trees??
I have a couple of fig trees here in Maryland. Yields initially were good, but the trees are now about 12 feet tall and the fruit is mostly near the top. When and how should I prune? Should I do it...
1
1

Re: Tatume squash
Loosing a few leaves shouldn't hurt. I never intentionally prune the tips of my running vines, but I do attempt to turn them and run them in directions that are safer or more convenient, or at least,...
5
5

weed identification
Hi. I'm looking for web sites that are fairly detailed in relation to weed identification. Plant sites would be helpful too. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Pax.

Zucchini squash hex
I have on numerous occasions throughout the years, planted zucchini squash and always had an over abundance of produce. This year I decided to try them again after about a 4 year hiatus. I was...
8
8

Hokkaido Squash
I planted seeds saved from a green (with light stripes) Hokkaido squash. This was the tastiest sweet squash we have ever had. Do any of you know if this is a hybrid? I'm wondering what this planting...
1
1

SSE Convention [long]
The Seed Saver's Exchange 2003 campout and convention, 7/18-20/2003. First, this is an entirely subjective view from an entirely subjective guy. Other folks may have attended an entirely different...
1
1

Re: Broccoli Green Worms How to Get Rid of
BT AKA Bacillus Thurigensis works quite well. It's the spores of a disease that kills cabbage moth larvae (the green worms in question). The stuff I got is a powder you mix with water and spray on the...
4
4

What is this fuzzy white thing
Help! I've seen here and there in my garden a white, furry looking insect 2-4 mm., just occasionally. Suddenly this morning I noticed my Italian bay bush had a whole bunch of them along with drops...
3
3

electric tomato strainer
I recently posted this to but got no reply. I am trying it here. I process about 75 quarts of tomato juice each year. Please no jokes. I have been using a Victorio manual tomato strainer. It broke at...

bitter lemon cucumber
For the first time, I find that some of my lemon cucumbers are very bitter. They look really good, beautifully round -- but before I could use them, I have to take a small slice and taste test. Any...
1
1