When do I start planting container tomatoes

I'm in Zone 5. I plan on burying the container in the garden when the soil is warm enough. Right now,we're still expecting snow! I have beefsteak and early girl tomatoes. Do they do well in containers? Linda,NY

Reply to
greenthumb

Tried it once. The cat thought they were roughage for her diet... Clipped the shoots off just like a razor would.

You starting from seed? I usually put mine out in May around here (Poughkeepsie, NY. Zone 5B). But I get the potted plants from Adams Fairacre Farms and I get the biggest they have.

Reply to
Steve Calvin

I will be starting my tomato seeds next month (same zone as you) for place out the end of May or early June. They will need to be repoted to bigger pots after the true leaves appear (and potted up to the true leaves) so they won't get leggy. Once the soil is warm enough transplant them outside either in large containers or out in the soil.

Reply to
Lynn

Lynn, We're planting the seed in 5 gallon pails so we don't have to transfer them. Thanks for the input Steve and Lynn

Reply to
greenthumb

Well good luck with that

Reply to