What's wrong with my apple tree?

All the leaves have spots/bumps on them. I don't know what it is, but I'm hoping it can be fixed. Here's a picture of what one of the leaves look like, front and back:

zone 5a

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

Lilah,

Looks like Apple Scab. This rainy damp weather seems to encourage this fungus. You should spray the tree with a fungicide early in the spring to be most effective, but you can try spraying now. The problem may go away by itself next year, but I would give it a spray very early in the spring. If the problem persists, you may have to continue spraying with a fungicide through the growing season.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwin dubren

We all know how much Sherwin loves to spray (nature be damned).

I'd contact your local Master Gardener's Program in Klamath at 883-7131, first.

Good luck,

Reply to
Billy

spraying is evil. Quite the contrary.

gunner

Instead of relying on an I.D. from 3,000 mi. away I suggested that Lilah talk with a representative of the University of Oregon, who is not far from where she lives. Perhaps, someone local could identify the problem. You don't have anything against the University of Oregon, do you?

Master Gardener's Program in Klamath Falls (Lilah lives in Klamath County) 883-7131,

Reply to
Billy

"We all know how much Sherwin loves to spray (nature be damned)."

Well, That is a good thing as self rightous indignation does not suit you very well.

Ahh, Chapter 3...plausible denial?

All in all, you gave good advice and yet..........

You can't even follow your OWN advice in addressing Tomatobecky's post a bit later. How bizarre your rationale changes from one minute to the next, (one with a pic, one without).

( You also read chapter 4 of your Propaganda 101 book, didn't you? )

Reply to
gunner

Billy, you don't seem to have any suggestions. You probably wouldn't know a fruit tree from a fire plug.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwin dubren

Here we go again with Billy's sending people off to the Universities and Extension Centers. This may work for him, since his knowledge of fruit trees is very limited. Notice Billy does this kind of shuffling people off on fruit issues, but not on vegetable gardening where supposedly he has more knowledge.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwin dubren

And what has that to do with solving Lilah's problem? Do you see a problem with seeking local help, doo?

Reply to
Billy

And your problem with seeking local, expert advice is . . . ? Maybe if you gave yourself a good squirt of Imidan, you'd feel better doo ;O)

Reply to
Billy

Doo didn't squirt you with something, did he? Have a nice rant.

Reply to
Billy

Billygoat,

If I think I have an answer to a problem, I don't send people running off to seek further help.

The original poster was very clear in describing the symptoms and even sent a very clear picture of the malady. There was no question in my mind that the problem is apple scab.

Why bother having a forum. Just build in a standard reply to all poster problems to take it elsewhere to their local experts. If nobody in this group had an inkling to an identification, sure it might require a hands on examination, but that is not the case here. I have also had problems getting information about fruit growing problems from my local botanic garden. Most have little or no background in fruit trees. I have sometimes received help from a university researcher, but it was not easy to reach him.

Again, I repeat, you never send people off to 'experts' with things you supposedly are knowledgeable, like vegetables. You have some compulsion to give advice, even if it something you know nothing about.

As for spraying, what do you propose to fix this problem, if it is indeed apple scab. Maybe some organic fairy dust?

By the way, there are organic sprays for fruits. In this case, she could use copper sulfate as a fungicide and this is organic. I think you are the one with Imidan on the brain.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwin dubren

Still FUBARED, Doo? Doing that doo, Doo, that you doo so well?

So what is your degree in, Doo? Upon what do you decide that your guesstimates don't require a review by professionals? Even if you were a professional, most don't feel as threatened as you do with a second opinion. Why don't we give posters the full range of options, instead of just the world according to Doo?

Hell, give yourself 2 squirts ;O)

Reply to
Billy

Billygoat,

You are a fool not worth exchanging a logical arguement with.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwin dubren

Good chance the local extension office will be at farmer's market next weekend(they had a booth last time I was there) so I will bring a leaf and ask them then if they're there. And just to forestall any more arguing, I am anti man-made pesticides/fungicides, etc myself. So those who would suggest it can just save some time and NOT do it because I never will. When my mother was pregnant with me, the place we lived at used to be orange orchards/groves in southern California and the ground there was saturated with dioxin/Agent Orange. As a result, I was born with serious health issues. Doctors didn't think I'd even make it a year. Only reason I have is because of NATURAL medicines, and I get to keep taking a handful of them every day for the rest of my life. So don't try and tell me that you can spray as many chemicals as you want and it doesn't hurt anything.

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

I will bet the bank that they analyze it as apple scab.

There are several 'organic' fungicides available, such as copper sulfate.

In most locations, you cannot expect to get clean apples without spraying. Right now, my apples are being attacked by apple maggots. I have no choice except to spray unless I want some wormy results. You should be growing something like pears, that are much less subject to insect attacks.

There is no telling how chemicals were misused by this former orchard. They could have dumped their excess chemicals on the ground. Normally, chemicals handled properly will not contaminate the ground. Those on the fruits will disintegrate or burn off in the sun after a few weeks. As a precaution, I never spray fruit within three weeks of picking it.

If your extension office has an organic way of treating apple scab, I would like to hear about it. I try and minimize my spraying through covering of fruit and various insect traps, so I am not against organic methods, when they are practical and will work.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwin dubren

You are now killfiled, have a nice day

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

Wow, that was a bit odd. I may not be up to date on the politics here in the group as I am a bit of a lurker rather than a poster. The flaming in this posting seemed to be unnecessary between billy/ sherwin, but I think you just decided to killfile Sherwin for:

1) ...stating that he thinks his analysis of apple scab was right 2) ...asking that you let the group know what the "experts" suggest for an organic solution.

Is that accurate?

Like others, I am not the type that likes the use of pesticides and herbicides, and would like some natural solutions to these types of problems. So choosing what to spray and when is helpful info for me. I certainly thought sharing what the experts suggest when you see them was a reasonable request. I guess I have not been seeing all the posts in here lately. For my sake though, perhaps you can share the experts analysis and advice? I know at least I would appreciate it.

Steve

Reply to
steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada

If that's what you want to think, go right ahead. I don't have any inclination to keep explaining myself over and over again.

[...]

Explaining yourself over and over again? You posted one response before deciding to killfile someone asking you to just keep us all up to date on what gives with your apple trees!

My first thought was that I missed something or perhaps you overreacted. But you are right, I'll go ahead and "think" what I want based on the curt and rude response I received for asking. I could care less if you killfile someone. I was just curious to know what resolves your problem (or at least what is suggested) as I live in a prime apple growing region.

God bless.