what is this mysetery vegetable?

Something tells me it's not "Hales Best Jumbo Cantelope" like I thought I planted.

younger green fruit:

older and starting to turn orange! :

Could this be a pumpkin? (That would explain why I had orange zucchini last week)

Dawn

Reply to
Dawn

Kinda looks like a pumpkin or squash of some kind? Cataba melon? I think that is spelled wrong

Betsy

Reply to
betsyb

Looks a whole lot like a Mexican Tatume squash. Squash and pumpkins are all in the same family. I grow Tatume every year, best eaten at between baseball and softball size but I let a few get very large for the greatgrands to use as baby pumpkins at Halloween. The smaller ones are very tasty: poke a knife into the squash a few times, put it in the microwave at high for three or four minutes. Take it out and cut in half, scoop out all the seeds and the connecting tissue. Make a mix of ground pork sausage or ground meat, flavored the way you want it. Stuff it into the two halves and microwave or bake until done. Makes a one dish meal for two people.

George

Dawn wrote:

Reply to
George Shirley

Oh yeah, it's some kind of C. pepo squash. It would cross with zucchini, but not turn them orange.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Andy writes: It looks like a punkin to me.....

I remember back in high school when a carload of us got drunk and decided to go out in the country and raid a watermellon patch. We grapped 3 or 4 good sized ones, and were drove away just as the farmer was firing his shotgun ( into the air, thank God).. When we stopped and cut the things open, we had stolen some really nice pumpkins....... Looked a lot like your picture...... ... when we got them into the light.......

Moral: Never steal watermellons without a flashlight,...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
AndyS