Using pet rabbit manure as compost

I have a large cage of 12 rabbits, who spend a good deal of time pooping. The dirty soil and hay mixture needs to be turned out every once in a while, and I wondered if this manure/soil/hay mixture could be used as an enriching compost for my herb garden. Would the pH of the manure, diluted with potting soil, be suitable for herbs?

Reply to
Sarah Still

Never apply fresh manure after the garden is planted. I've used it 2 months before planting and have had no problems. Hot composted manure/hay mixture is no problem at anytime.

Reply to
Billy

Be careful with rabbit compost. It tends to be acidic.

Always compost it for at least a year.

Reply to
Omelet

I've read that rabbits only digest 25% of the food they eat, the remaining 75% cycles through their system as unused plant fiber. That's why rabbits are often seen eating their dried poop - it still has lots of nourishment. That said, there should not be much difference between it and plant mulch.

KC

Reply to
KC