Tree Paint

i am thinking of painting my fruit trees, the problem being what kind of paint to use and what not to use.........thanks in advance!

------------------------- Remove NO SPAM to Reply! Add yar where NO SPAM was!

Reply to
yar

Hi Yar,

I can solve your problem for you. Don't paint your trees. It's reall unsightly.

New

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt

You are right, Newt, but some people paint the trunks with watered down latex paint (half water, half white latex paint) to prevent "southwest injury". There are several other names for that, but it happens when the temps are well below freezing but the afternoon sun pushes the bark temperatures above freezing. As soon as the sun goes behind a hill or even a cloud, the bark suddenly refreezes, resulting in damage. The bark doesn't have to be solid white. Just enough white to lighten the color considerably. Also, no paint is needed on the north or east sides. Once the trees get big, the bark gets thick enough that damage is unlikely.

I have fruit trees that have had this winter injury but I've never painted them. They are yard trees and I don't want them painted. If I ever had an orchard way out back and nearly out of sight (my yard isn't nearly that big) I might use the paint.

The original post didn't say why they wanted to paint the trees. If they are planning to do it just because they think it looks good, ... I disagree!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Hi Steve,

You are so correct. I really should have asked why Yar wanted to pain the trees. There is another reason to paint them as well. It's calle sunscald, but much of that can be prevented when initial planting i done by facing the lowest branches towards the south to shade th trunk.

Thanks for pointing that out. New

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt

the reason i was interested in doing this was for the prevention of crawley bugs. i was told that bugs have a harder time getting a foothold where the trunk has been painted. that led me to the concern of what type of paints would harm the trees. i have been told to avoid oil based paints.

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 02:16:41 +0000, Newt blurted forth:

" "Steve Wrote: "> Newt wrote:- "> yar Wrote: "> - "> i am thinking of painting my fruit trees, the problem being what kind "> of paint to use and what not to use.........thanks in advance! "> ------------------------- "> Remove NO SPAM to Reply! "> Add yar where NO SPAM was!- "> "> "> "> Hi Yar, "> "> I can solve your problem for you. Don't paint your trees. It's "> really "> unsightly. "> "> Newt- "> "> "> You are right, Newt, but some people paint the trunks with watered "> down "> latex paint (half water, half white latex paint) to prevent "southwest "> injury". There are several other names for that, but it happens when "> the "> temps are well below freezing but the afternoon sun pushes the bark "> temperatures above freezing. As soon as the sun goes behind a hill or "> even a cloud, the bark suddenly refreezes, resulting in damage. The "> bark "> doesn't have to be solid white. Just enough white to lighten the color "> considerably. Also, no paint is needed on the north or east sides. "> Once "> the trees get big, the bark gets thick enough that damage is unlikely. "> "> I have fruit trees that have had this winter injury but I've never "> painted them. They are yard trees and I don't want them painted. If I "> ever had an orchard way out back and nearly out of sight (my yard "> isn't "> nearly that big) I might use the paint. "> "> "> The original post didn't say why they wanted to paint the trees. If "> they "> are planning to do it just because they think it looks good, ... I "> disagree! "> "> Steve " " " "Hi Steve, " "You are so correct. I really should have asked why Yar wanted to paint "the trees. There is another reason to paint them as well. It's called "sunscald, but much of that can be prevented when initial planting is "done by facing the lowest branches towards the south to shade the "trunk. " "Thanks for pointing that out. "Newt

------------------------- Remove NO SPAM to Reply! Add yar where NO SPAM was!

Reply to
yar

Sunscald is one of the other names for southwest injury.

Steve

I can't imagine that this would work well enough to be worth the bother.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Yar, I agree with Steve as to painting the trees to prevent insec pests. That is best done with good gardening practices. Plantin plant material that will attract beneficial insects and birds who ea the bugs will be more help then using pesticides or paint. It's calle IPM or Integrated Pest Management. If you have specific pests then tha would be the place to start. A good place to start for info on IPM i your local extension service if you are in the US.

's a couple of sites on IPM you should find helpful.
and the advice you got about not using oil based paints is correct That is a no no.

New

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt

il Sat, 12 Feb 2005 08:05:09 -0800, yar ha scritto:

I've heard of people wrapping corrugated cardboard around the trunk. The codling moth will crawl into it. Then you can burn them all. A smear of vaseline may work, but you'd need gallons.

Reply to
Loki

I remember when I was a kid, we put some sticky stuff and a tar paper collar around the trees. Nothing could crawl up past it.

John!

yar wrote:

Reply to
GA Pinhead

Hi Loki, Yes, there are even ones you can purchase that can help with lots o problems. Many are designed for young trees.

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt

Reply to