Summer Friends

Picked up the camera on my way back with the scissors Friday:

Yesterday, there were 8; today, 6 remain. They have done a number on the parsely. Boy, will the only-neighbor-who-cooks be surprised next time she makes tabouli! How long will they continue to eat? I only have the one parsley. I'm not going to have to buy them a plant of their own, am I?

Reply to
balvenieman

They will continue to eat until a predator gets them, they run out of food or metamorphose. I suggest that you choose option one and use that old organic grubicide: treadonem.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Nah; nearest I can come to I.D. is black swallowtail, a native North American flutterby. I don't begrudge them a grocery store parsley, which will recover unless they just eat it all. Guess I need to study the life cycle to determine whether they're going to pupate in the container soil.

Reply to
balvenieman

What sort of catepillar is that? It's quite a pretty wee beasty, but I think I'd prefer the parsley to them so would end up squashing them.

Reply to
FarmI

We grow rue for the swallowtails.

Reply to
phorbin

Yeah, definitely a swallowtail. I'd suggest relocating it to a sacrificial parsley plant away from the main garden.

--S.

Reply to
Suzanne D.

...but it's the _only_ parsley! LOL Earlier today, I saw five. Now three, although, I didn't exactly conduct a thorough search. They've moved to the adjacent rosemary. They never made it down to the parsley's crown so there's still lots of vigorous new growth. I'll prune it back when I'm certain the beasties are gone. It's not exactly a close family friend just a produce department plant that I stuck in the container with some rosemary last October. I'm no photographer but for the idly curious:

Reply to
balvenieman

Well for someone who claims not to be a photographer, 3 of those snaps were very good. Sure is a pretty wee beastie.

Reply to
FarmI

And it is such fun watching the ants eat them alive.

David Hare-Scott

Indeed; you should have seen its mother. LOL

Reply to
balvenieman

Yes, that was bit off-putting. However given that I would have squashed them for eating the parsley in the first place, I'd be a hypocrite to complain about their imminent demise.

Reply to
FarmI

Yes, there is that. I just stumbled onto the carnage already well in progress. Although, I'm sure I played no small part in their being there in the first place, I wouldn't have tried to interfere. It helps to think of "them" as organic clockwork; LOL! ...and ain't that just the way of the world....

Reply to
balvenieman