req:rotting peppers

One of my pepper plants has rotting fruit. It's not blossom end rot, as the rotting is in the middle of the pepper. They look OK until about 3" long, then rot in spots. Could it be the rain or condensation? I can't find any worms or other bugs. Do cicadas sucking on them cause this? First time in twenty years I've ever had this problem. It's a red bell which I've grown many times before successfuflly.

VR,

TWH

Reply to
Tom Hooper

I have the same problem, I believe it is the wet season we are having here in Ohio. My tomatoes and a few other items are suffering from not drying out in the last three weeks. Waiting on the sun to shine.

Bad Bob

"Cook him till he's blue, and smother him in onions."

Reply to
Bad Bob

How is it rotting? Is it a watery area with a dark spot in the middle? Is it looking like it's dry black leathery stretched membrane in the middle of otherwise ok looking pepper? Or is it just soft in spots but otherwise looks pretty close to normal?

Of the above only one I know is anthracnose .. on my tomatoes anyway, makes a kind of a watery blister with a darker area in the middle. I imagine it would be similar on peppers, but whatever it is, more details please ;-)

Another thing that affects peppers is sun scald, particularly when they're kind of wet and the sun shines on them...that ends up a few days later a whitish area with stretched whitish dry papery membrane over the affected area.

Janice

Reply to
Janice

I have never (knock wood) experienced any pepper diseases, but *have* had sun-scald. This generally happens to early fruit when the 'leaf canopy' is relatively small. Nasty black patches.

Another 'early fruit' problem, BTW, is peppers expanding in the 'V' of branches. I guess it happens because the peppers form closer to the stem than they do later. It's something to watch out for, as the expanding pepper can split a branch.

Reply to
Frogleg