Red Potatoes

If there is anyone still around I have a strange question. We bought

50 pounds of tiny red potatoes back in October and they were great. Now we are finding that they taste "sweet" for lack of a better term. What could cause this? They are not growing, they are not soft, they appear like they did back in October but they taste funny. In mashed we have checked the milk, used filtered water to boil, really tried to keep the variables the same. I hate to throw the last 15 pounds away but they just aren't good. Besides I don't want this to happen again. Any ideas? Thanks,MJ
Reply to
mjciccarel

I haven't had this experience and I haven't done any research so this is just a guess, take it for what it's worth. The taters are still alive and metabolising. The carbohydrate metabolism of many plants converts sugars into starches and vice versa depending on requirements. My guess is that your spuds are mobilising starch and converting to sugar preparatory to producing shoots. Why don't all of them do this in a way that is detectable? Dunno.

Whatever the reason for it I cannot imagine there is anything harmful about it unless there is also solanine developing. Take the usual precautions.

David Hare-Scott

Thanks, could this have been caused by being refrigerated?

Reply to
mjciccarel

Starch to sugar, sugar to vodka sounds like a project to me.

Mike

Reply to
Bloke Down The Pub

Damn, I'll go get them out of the garbage !!!!

Reply to
mjciccarel

Just didn't like the taste at all. They were cut and boiled and still not good tasting to us. I is just nice to know that we are not crazy and potatoes can and or will do this. Thanks everyone for the insight

Reply to
mjciccarel

Are you saying that a refrigerator is too cool and too dark? Not being a smart ass, I have often wondered if the humidity would cause a problem. Lets go talk to our friend Google

Reply to
mjciccarel

Wow, that didn't take long. It is all over that refrigerating potatoes will convert the starch to sugar. Who Knew? Thank you everyone for your time and answers. I still find it more fun to talk to you all than to just do a search. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and all the Best for any other Holidays you enjoy Looking forward to those seed catalogs ......... soon I hope

Reply to
mjciccarel