Rat poison a good idea?

There are many holes in my garden and I wonder if using rat poison would get rid of the little pests.

Reply to
James

What size are the holes and what have you seen?

The last time rat poison was set out in my neighborhood, the squirrel population took quite a nose dive.

Some misguided neighbor had called the township about seeing rats near the stream and we ALL were required to hire a pest control company and pay for it ourselves. Well, they had sorta kinda seen rats...MUSKrats, which we discovered swimming lazily along in the pond. What a pain all that was to go through.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

It's about the only way you are ever going to get them under control......

Reply to
Katra

as others have said, if you put it above ground you will be making a mess. I used to be overrun and I would put it in the tunnels, digging a hole with my finger, pouring the stuff, and closing it.

then I discovered that predator urine keeps them away. I have not seen one in years.

Reply to
simy1

Smoke bombs may be a better solution for your mole problem. With any type of poison there's always a risk that the poison may be ingested directly by pets or they eat something that was posioned. The main ingredients of smoke bombs e.g sulphur are not harmful to the soil, which is handy if you want to go vegie growing afterward.

Reply to
Conor Redmond