Rain barrel directions

this page, at the end of the second paragraph is a link to click on for

2-page directions on how to make a rain barrel.

I purchase my barrels from a local food company that makes teriyaki sauce so the barrels are food quality. Of course the rain water collected may not be, but I know the barrels are.

Reply to
Glenna Rose

snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org:

  1. Buy barrel.
  2. Direct water from downspout into barrel.
  3. Use water.

2 pages?

Reply to
Puckdropper

The directions give details as to how to drill the hole(s), connect the fittings, link the barrels. etc. The second link posted today shows different stacking methods and linking methods as well as how some have connected the downspout with overflows, etc.

your directions are accurate though a bit incomplete; surely we all got that far, but there is a bit more when one goes to actually do it. Questions might be: How to get the water into the barrel, how to get it out of the barrel, etc. Maybe even how to attach a spigot to the barrel. Some like to see different methods and determine which might be better for their use.

The two pages have detailed photographs of the fittings and how to install them. For those who already have plumbing experience, they are unneeded, but not all of us do. On the pages (today and yesterday) are also details as how to attach the spigot into a closed barrel. Also a reminder about the mosquito issue and other suggestions.

I apologize if I offended you by considering that someone might want specific directions. Since my own plan for this was changed after viewing the pages, it seemed logical that others might be interested in seeing some methods used.

Personally, when someone says they make their own tomato cages, I like more details to see if their methods might be better than what I use.

Glenna

BTW, the first rain barrel page was designed to be a tri-fold brochure, undoubted given out at fairs, etc., hence large photos and specifics.

Reply to
Glenna Rose

On "This Old House" they showed a rainbarrel with a hose spigot near the bottom, so the owner could hook up a drip system to it. Cool idea!

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

Yes, I saw that show, also (actually "Ask This Old House"). One of the pages on the second web site I posted

has a link to a photograph of that type of overflow but didn't give specific directions though I'll bet they have it on the "Ask This Old House" web page. When I get that far, I'll be looking for it if the photo and my local plumbing store don't have enough info for it.

That second page has a link to a page where one of the people painted her barrel to match her house siding. Another barrel was painted by an artist and sold at auction as a fund raiser. Those that I put in the garden will likely be painted like green grass with my granddaughters (6 & 8) drawing flowers on them. I stopped searching after I found that web site but I'll bet there are many dozens of more ideas of how to use the barrels practically and attractively.

The pages give directions for attaching the hose bib; but the WSU person I spoke with yesterday, uses JB-Weld (sp?) to fasten the hose bib rather the directions for otherwise. I'll let you know which way I decide is best for the barrels I use.

There is a gentleman in Portland who waters his tomato plants from barrels, fills the barrels and lets the water warm; the warmer water encourages even greater growth and a larger crop.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org:

I see... You're not just collecting rain water and dumping the watering can in the barrel when you want to water plants, you're doing things like drainage and irrigation.

When I read your first post, it sounded to me like an advertisement. I didn't immediately recongize your name, so my reply was rather terse.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Glenna if you collect rain water off your roof and you don't live in an area of heavy pollution then you should have no problems drinking the water. I'm in my mid 50s and have drunk rain water collected from the roof for about 40 of those years. This is the most common method to obtain drinking water in rural areas in my country and I've not heard of anyone bothering to use filtering techniques. Bird poop is mostly phosphorus and it's not a problem to humans.

Reply to
FarmI