Pumkin seeds

Any hints on best way to keep pumkin, squash, corgette seeds for next year? Time to harvest, prepare etc?

Reply to
Mervyn Thomas

  1. Let them fully mature on the vine.

  1. Open the fruit and remove the seeds.

  2. For the winter squashes/pumpkin clean and dry the seeds. The summer squash will usually dry in the shell.

  1. When completely dry, store in an airtight container ( I use presciption medicine cans since I have a surplus of the big ones)

  2. Put them in dark dry place which doesn't experience extremes of temperature.

  1. Seeds are usually viable for several years.

Reply to
FarmerDill

Hi All, make sure the pumkin is fully ripe, take the seeds out and dry the seeds and keep untill you plant next year. the worst problem is mould, so make sure the seeds are fully dry.

Richard. M. Watkin.

Reply to
richard maurice watkin

I strip them out and try to wash all the "goo" that I can off of them, then put them into a net bag and hang them. Every time I walk by the bag I move the seeds around a bit so they can dry evenly. Once they are nice and dry, I put them into a clean paper envelope, seal it and label it. I store the envelopes in a plastic ziplock in a cool dark place.

K.

Reply to
Katra

I would not save seed from the F1 varieties. Choose the open pollinate varieties and isolate or only grow the one variety if you don't wan cross pollination of your seed plants.

The squash/pumpkin may be left to over ripen and this will improve see quality. When ready to store, scoop out the seed, wash thoroughly t remove the pulp, discard any flat seed and retain the plump ones. Dry by spreading onto kitchen paper laid in a tray and placed in a dr airy spot for 2 weeks. When the seed are thorougly dried place the into a paper envelope and keep in a cool, dry place until sowing tim in late winter through spring

-- Plantsman

Reply to
Plantsman