Potatoes Planted

We finished planting the potatoes today, Thursday, 3/26. We planted the fir
st half on Tuesday but yesterday was raining so we had to wait until today.
Hard working in the wet dirt; it sticks to the tools and boots. Didn't Nap
oleon say something about the mud also sticks to the boots of the enemy?
Paul
Reply to
Pavel314
Hi Paul,
I can not eat potatoes anymore (T2 Diabetes), so I will have to live vicariously though you. (Lucky you!)
Did you plant any special variety(ies)? And is there no more chance of a freeze?
And did you miss any potatoes last year that have popped up?
:-)
-T
Reply to
first half on Tuesday but yesterday was raining so we had to wait until to day. Hard working in the wet dirt; it sticks to the tools and boots. Didn't Napoleon say something about the mud also sticks to the boots of the enemy ?
We planted Purple Viking potatoes. After harvesting last year's crop, we ha d a lot of small potatoes left over so we saved them as seed potatoes for t his year. I used the flat blade of the mattock to carve out three parallel trenches in a 25 foot bed and planted the seed potatoes in the trenches.
Very unlikely that we'll get any more hard freezes; if we do, I'll cover th e bed with a tarp to keep the heat in. We usually plant our potatoes on Sai nt Patrick's day, but it was rained out this year.
I haven't noticed any missed potatoes yet but my wife did find a celery pla nt the other day that seems to have survived winter in the wild quite well.
Paul
Reply to
Pavel314

Site Timeline Threads