Picking the garden

My wife mother was given something in the hospital with something else she as allergic to. The reaction was secondary effect of the original allergy.

My Purslane is already producing seeds. So when I pick it, I make a pint of rinsing it off over a patch of the yard that doesn't have any growing in it yet.

I will have to look into the Rye solution too.

Is there a good tasting radish? The ones I get from the store have zero taste and are only hot.

Look online for heirloom radishes. That's how we got our sweet radishes, just like the ones we grew fifty years ago. Some how hot radishes became the standard but we never liked those anyway.

Reply to
George Shirley

Thank you!

T wrote: ...

i like radish sprout leaves more than i like radishes.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Which ones do you like?

We've grown Long Scarlet and China Rose with good results. A lot of the hotness of radishes can be caused by letting them get to big. I prefer them when young and sweet.

Reply to
George Shirley

These two:

The china rose one like cold weather too!

I wonder if it is too late to try this year? Our growing season is really short. Early October comes the first freeze.

Thank you!

French breakfast radishes.

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Yup. We pick them quite small - little delightful flavor bursts with a hint of salt sprinkled on or sliced onto buttered bread.

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Thank you!

...Most radishes (other than some "storage" varieties) are ready to eat

3 weeks after planing, more or less.
Reply to
Ecnerwal

Wow. They grow that fast?

Do they like poor sandy soil?

T wrote: ...radishes...

yes, the grow quickly... :)

dunno, i never put them in the gardens that have that type of soil. they'd probably grow if they got enough water. might not have much flavor.

note that some radishes are excellent for busting into hard packed ground. they are often included in a mix of seeds people around here use to seed a pasture. diakon radish. they can get pretty big too.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I tried daikon radishes once upon a time when I was young and foolish. About burned my taste buds off my tongue. I found them hotter than horse radish, when daikon must be kin to.

George, in hot, humid, SE Texas

Reply to
George Shirley

George Shirley wrote: ...

i just sprout 'em and eat the sprouts, after a few weeks i may chop 'em under and replant if i want more but usually i'm too busy and forget about it. :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Would this work on my devastated radish patch now that I have the earwigs on the run? Just replant?

T wrote: ...

the radishes may recover, but yeah, you can also replant. they sprout and grow quickly, just not sure how well they will do in the very hot weather. pick, 'em as soon as they get big enough, would be my guess.

the daikons here are already a foot high. nice tap root. :) too hot for me to eat now. i just like the sprouts.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Hot as it is here radishes do not flourish in the hot summer of Houston area. We're getting some mid-afternoon temps up to 100F, hopefully it will get hotter in July and I won't be going outside for awhile.

I'm thinking of planting some New Zealand spinach again. It took three years to get rid of them in Louisiana but the leaves are tasty and they carry a goodly load of vitamins. Dear wife might try to off me if I do.

George

Reply to
George Shirley