Onion tops

If some of you haven't figured it out yet, I'm kinda new to gardens so plea se be patient with me. Question: Im about to plant a bunch of red onion sets, they are about an in ch or so in diameter, What I want to do is trim the green tops as they grow for salads etc. will this kill the onion underground or if I leave a littl e of the green will it continue to grow thanks in advance

Reply to
wawwiz

Generally they will continue to grow and produce tops but don't cut them to short, leave a few inches and the plant will get the sunlight it needs.

See if you can find some scallion starts or "bunching" onions. When the get big enough pull them all and plant a few back to grow more. I've got some we've been growing for about 25 years now and they're still producing.

I pull them, wash them, cut off the roots, chop them, put on a cookie sheet and put in freezer for at least an hour and then vacuum bag them for later use. If you're in a temperate climate you can just pull a few when you need them.

Reply to
George Shirley

we all had to start somewhere. :)

the more green you cut off the less energy the onion will have to make a bulb.

it is much better to plant chives or green onions or bunching onions for that kind of cutting (less expensive than onion sets too).

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I plant the bunching onions , get 'em at the co-op for like a buck anna quarter per pound . I'm still pulling onions I planted last year . The romaine is doing exceptionally well this year too , nothing quite like ground to table in under an hour . Coming soon : cherry tomatoes , I kinnardly wait !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

You could if you didn't cut too much off but IMO, you'd be much better off to plant a few bunches of chives to get that onion like flavour in salads. Chives give you really good bang for you buck and once you have them, you have them forever and you can increase your yield by just dividing each clump each year and tucking new smaller clumps into unused corners all round the garden. I even have them in amongst the 'flower' beds.

BTW, could you please to correct your line length so that it wraps properly for more easy reading please.

Reply to
Fran Farmer