New found respect for growing your own vegetables

Wife laid up with knee replacement has had me doing all the shopping for food.

Cabbage at 98 cents a pound seemed outrageous.

I mentioned it to clerk and he said that is one of the cheap vegetables.

Lettuce, sold by the head, was weighed and actually sells for $1.25 lb.

Bunch of radishes wife wanted for salad also sold by bunch which I figured was 27 cents per radish.

Astute banker told me the other day that economists have found that the more food costs, the less people eat, so there is no increase in the inflation rate because they spend the same for food.

I had been telling this to people as a joke but he was serious.

Reply to
Frank

all of what you say was what we went through yesterday when picking up salad fixings for tomorrow's family gathering.

makes you think a bit about what people did back in the times when there wasn't easy shipping from the warm veggie patches around the country and instead people had to rely upon what they put up for the winter. i'd bet that a large part of what people had on hand for the winter were the root crops like carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, along with the cabbage family and of course pickles and other canned or dried foods.

there has been a shift in how many people shop. i know we have made some changes too as time has gone on.

tonight we're roasting squash and freezing it.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

When it comes to calculating inflation I knew the government considers that if the price of beef went up that you would shift to cheaper stuff like chicken and not spend as much but not that they would eat less.

Hard to believe that you can get the same vegetables all year long compared to years ago.

Reply to
Frank