my stevia plants taste like crap!

I've been using Stevia to sweeten my tea and cereal for a couple of months now, and when I saw some plants at a local store marked down to a buck, I decided to plant 6 of them out by the mailbox.

When I took a couple of leaves and chewed them, however, I was left spitting out a very vile tasting green substance for a couple of minutes. Only later did I truly seem to taste the sweet taste I was used to, as a lingering aftertaste.

Does this horrid taste go away if you dry the leaves?

Reply to
Ohioguy

There seems to be some variation in the flavor of different plants, or it could be the way they are cultivated, of maybe a dog uses them for his toilet. Mine taste fine to me, but the sweetness does take a few seconds to show itself.

Reply to
Billy

I noticed that my youngest stevia leaves were uniformly sweet, but they get very bitter as they grow. If you eat too much, you taste bitter instead of sweet. I did exactly what you did once and popped a whole mature leaf into my mouth. Yikes. But nibbling it in tiny doses brought out the sweet. A little stevia goes a LOONNNNNNG way.

--S.

Reply to
Suzanne

There are different varieties of Stevia.

Probably not. My read of the nature of 'glycoside' and looking at reports around the web, including competitors' claims and counter-claims suggest that the bitterness is persistent.

One (Chinese) wholesaler says they remove the stem and as much vein from the leaves as possible and that makes their product better and less bitter.

Richters has developed 'Crazy Sweet' which isn't bitter and lives up to its name. On the downside we've found it a very easy plant kill and have yet to bring a plant to maturity.

?product=X6030&show=&prodclass=Herb_and_Vegetable_Plants&cart_id=9157068.29803

Reply to
phorbin

I was able to "over-winter" a Stevia plant under lights for its first years, but I lost it the second winter. I'm dealing with a marginal sun light situation (about 6 hr./day), but have had no problems growing Stevia from seed.

Reply to
Billy

You must of watched Office space lately.

Reply to
DogDiesel

No.

Reply to
Billy

hmm i think that movie coined the phrase pound me in the ass prison.

Reply to
DogDiesel

Financial crooks brought down the world's economy ? but the feds are doing more to protect them than to prosecute them By  Matt Taibbi FEBRUARY 16, 2011 9:00 AM ET

one has to think carefully about the efficacy of fines as a punishment for a defendant pool that includes the richest people on earth ? people who simply get their companies to pay their fines for them. Conversely, one has to consider the powerful deterrent to further wrongdoing that the state is missing by not introducing this particular class of people to the experience of incarceration. "You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month term, and all this bullshit would stop, all over Wall Street," says a former congressional aide. "That's all it would take. Just once."

Reply to
Billy