Lettuce: really basic question

I know this is pretty basic, but hey, that's where I'm at. I've never had much luck planting lettuce outside, 100 yards from north Puget Sound's salt water. This year trying seeds started in the greenhouse. Put two or three seeds in each hole. Germinated just great, but now should I thin the plants to a single one in each hole? The two or three seeds in each hole pretty much all sprouted, and now crowd together 1 1/2 or 2 inches high, second set of leaves. Oh yes, two types of lettuce, one a "Romaine" and the other a "leaf" ( if it makes a difference) Will probably put some outside in due time, and try my hand at greenhousing some. If I could only keep the darned greenhouse daytime temperature down!!!! Old Chief Lynn

Reply to
Lynn Coffelt

A small pair of manicure scissors is perfect for thinning lettuce, and most other seedlings.

Reply to
tuckermo

Yes, I think I can handle the actual thinning, its just that I don't know if lettuce plants should be thinned to a single seedling in one spot or are two or three in a single spot or clump OK? (romaine and leaf types) Old Chief Lynn

Reply to
Lynn Coffelt

One plant per hole. Pick the most robust-looking and clip the other one(s) off at the base. -aem

Reply to
aem

Thanks, I got it! Heading for the greenhouse right now!

Reply to
Lynn Coffelt