Just starting out...

Hi all

I'm brand new to gardening and hav just bought my greenhouse. Going t sow some seeds tomorrow and just querying some of the instructions Whats do the following actually mean:

Firm gently? Keep moist? (what's moist? If i'm growing a veg in seed tray, does thi mean water daily?)

Thanks for your help

-- Akumos

Reply to
Akumos

Press down with your hand until the soil compacts a small amount.

Don't let it dry out. Surface dryness is normal but under the surface should be damp. Try this: put some soil in your hand and squeeze it. When you open your fist, if the soil stays in a ball, it is damp/ moist. If it crumbles, it is dry.

Depends on the size of the seed tray, but light watering every 3rd day would probably do it.

KC

Reply to
KC

brilliant! thank you KC for you advice! It's much appericiated

-- Akumos

Reply to
Akumos

Moist means water when needed, not on a set schedule!

You will find that some plants really suck up the water during certain stages in development. Check your seedlings/plants daily. Personally, I water my seedlings when the soil on top looks dry. I usually don't actually check it - dry soil is a different color from damp. And moist, I'd say, is dryer than damp :)

Firm gently for me means getting good contact between the seed and the moistened soil. I like to use warm water to wet the sterile potting mix, then make a small divot in the top with a pencil or spoon - about

4-5 seed diameters deep, so not really deep. I cover the seed by pushing the seed in and smearing my finger over the hole, which puts some of that moist mix on top of the seed. I usually don't press any harder than that.

With bottom heat provided by a heating pad, you can expect seedlings in 3-7 days.

Don't forget to harden off your plants when movign them from greenhouse to outdoors!

Reply to
3dgonzo