Is lead taken up by vegetables?

When I sweep up the leaves on one side of my house I see paint that flakes off the house exterior, a fair amount of it. I think it's probable that this is leaded paint (i.e. pre 1970). For this reason, I've been putting those leaves in the trash rather than on my compost pile. That compost is what I fortify the soil with when I plant my vegetable garden. Would my vegetables just leave that lead in the soil or would some of it work its way into my tomatoes, squash, etc.?

Dan

Reply to
Anonymous

There are lead test swipes available. Check it out as this is a quick and cheap test that looks like Q tips in a cylinder.

Heavy metals not good. That said make sure you have an issue and if you do fix it as soon as you can afford it. My brother removed some siding from my Dad's house 10 years ago BUT it was asbestos shingles and the work was costly according just for the dumping.

Bill whose Dad was into Creosote, Asbestos, Mercury and Cyanide and what ever was a good tool. Benzene good for cutting oil and grease. He also introduced me to Rodale yada yada go figure . Don't know why the mercury was about but may have been useful in plumbing stuff?

Reply to
Bill

Never heard of it being used in plumbing. Perhaps he was a part-time dentist or a pox doctor.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Bill