I want to try starting cucumber seeds, so I have cheaper stock to experiment. Can I do it now in South California?

I want to try starting cucumber seeds, so I have cheaper stock to experiment. Can I do it now in South California?

I have got the seeds from Gurneys. What is the better and most sure way to do it?

I have a lot of empty plastic cups, paper cups, etc, etc, Can I do it with just these siupplies, without buying anything?

Reply to
Mark

I don't know if there is time for them to produce this year. But I always start from seed here in Oregon. I just poke them in the ground and give lots of water. But I plant them toward the end of may or first of June, depending on the weather. They are just now starting to produce.

Reply to
Anna

Thanks, Anna!

I am in South California. I am not sure if I do the right thing, but it seems that most I am going to looze is about $1.50 in seeds. Now if it works, I will somewhere in 2-3 weeks have a seedlings to plant outside. I experimented with cucumber seeds, tomato seeds, and parsley seeds.

I have tried this weekend to srtart the seeds. I have found on Internet something that tells how. This is how:

  1. I take old newspaper.
  2. cut a strip of paper about 4 inches wede and about 2 feet long.
  3. Wrap paper around a cup.
  4. Stick loose end of paper in the cup hole.
  5. Take out the cup.
  6. Now I have made a cup from paper.
  7. fill it up with little of soil mix (bought from store--seed starting soil). Make sooil mix little wet.
  8. Stick a seed in the soil. Not very deep. about 4 width deep.
  9. put cups on a trau.
  10. Cover ray with plastic bag.
  11. Let it stay > I don't know if there is time for them to produce this year. But I always
Reply to
Mark