I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of?

Throw in some green tomatoes, onions, carrots etc.

a large crock may be a challenge these days but it is worth the effort.

Have Fun!

Bill who used to do a lot of this stuff till my attention and energy went to our kids. Perhaps time to get back?

Neat book

The guide to self-Sufficiency by John Seymour ISBN 0-910990-74-3

God it even has a forward by E.F. Schumacher !

(Small is Beautiful)

Reply to
William Wagner

So do you need to cook this and seal the jars (can them)? I tried to figure it out from Stocking Up and I mostly got confused. I probably should figure out the whole canning thing but when I read up about high acid, low acid, vinegar, salt, etc, etc, etc, I can get overwhelmed (and not always sure which advice applies in a given situation).

Ah, OK. That makes sense when I think of them being harvested this far into the summer.

I tried to clarify things in my mind by researching the kinds of peas/beans in the world. Some of the more common are:

Vigna - cowpea, crowder peas, (one kind is black eye peas), and others (warm weather, drought tolerant) Pisum - green pea, split pea, etc (a cool weather crop). Includes sugar snap peas & similar Phaseolus - green beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, and others (a warm weather crop) (there's a table partway down at

).

There are other edible legumes too which aren't one of the above (soy beans, chickpeas, etc).

Reply to
Jim Kingdon

Try this site if not for music ( A little heavy on the beat ;))) maybe canning which is what you want to know about. We used to do pickles,tomatoes and jams. The easy stuff. Meat I think requires extra care. Stocking Up is a good book.

Bill who has blue canning jars with metal locks but not energy to use them.

William Wagner

All I do is wash the peppers, and place them whole in a glass or plastic jar. Old mayo jars & peanut butter containers work. Then pour vinegar (i use cider vinegar) in the container until full. Place in cupboard or fridge. No need to seal. The jars will keep for as long as the vinegar keeps. (quite a while!)

Yeah, I picked more peas yesterday...they keep producing here until after the first frost hits. Of course, the production rate will taper down before then.

Reply to
rachael simpson

We were getting sick of tomatoes about the time the intense heat and drought got to them.

Reply to
Manelli Family

I'm getting fed up of green beans. My husband will eat them till th

cows come home but I get bored with them. Also what can you do wit Courgettes. We leave a few to become marrows but there's only so man you can eat. A good tip for stuffed marrow is, when you have scoope out the inside, rub the flesh with sea salt and garlic, then soa overnight before stuffing with savoury mince. Delicious!

-- Directbulbs

Reply to
Directbulbs

(Husband looks out the window and thinks "uh oh, here come the cows") "Honey, where did you put that book on canning?"

Reply to
doofy

doofy;737136 Directbulbs wrote:-

I'm getting fed up of green beans. My husband will eat them till the cows come home but I get bored with them. -

(Husband looks out the window and thinks "uh oh, here come the cows") "Honey, where did you put that book on canning?"

i remember when i was a kid helping my mom to freeze some things lik beans and peas and i didnt remember her blanching them. so take a pee and see if this site might help ppl that are sick of some of thei veggies lolol. cyaaaaaa, sockiescat.

-- sockiescat

Reply to
sockiescat

  1. Pick the flowers, coat with batter, and deep fry (like tempura or onion rings). Now, if your flowers have already set fruit it may be too late to reduce your havest this way. But the flowers do have a delightful light taste.
  2. Enchilladas (haven't tried this specific recipe, but something along the lines of
    ).
  3. Zucchini bread (again, this isn't my recipe but it is similar:
    ).
  4. Soup. Not sure the Courgette are quite as good as winter squash for this, but clearly it can be done based on:
Jim Kingdon