how to keeps cats out

how do you keep cays out of a vege plot without using a 12 bore shotgun. I have tried everything like water bottles, herbs, netting and scare machines bought for the job no avail.# Anyone any tried and proven ideas would be a great help.

Reply to
Tmcl

Our veggie plot (fenced) is surrounded by our dogs' fenced area - there's a large fenced area (the dogs' area) with a smaller fenced area (the veggie garden) inside it.

So it's protected by a [moat of dogs]. No cats. No rabbits or woodchucks or deer or raccoons either, at least so far.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

There are repellents that work, I don't know the brand names but you should be able to find them in a pet store.

Reply to
B. Joshua Rosen

Dried-out dead thorns from local thorn bushes. One thorn in the paw and they wont come back (at least that particular one).

Dan

Reply to
dstvns

: how do you keep cays out of a vege plot without using a 12 bore shotgun.

I stick lots of short bamboo stakes in the ground on any bare patches.

Reply to
Tim Tyler

I've seen water sprinklers that work on a motion detecter sold at better gardening centers, I think they were about $70.00. I'm sure you will enjoy watching the cats jump when the water goes on. You might even sell tickets to your friends to cover the cost of the unit. If you don't remember to turn it off before going to work it will remind you.

Reply to
Jack1000

You might try one of those sprayer-hooked-to-motion-sensor thingys. Kinda spendy, but every cat I've ever known hated getting wet. Never tried one myself but the some of the folks in rec.ponds seem to find them effective for raccoons.

Reply to
Bill Ranseen

Moat of dogs! Excellent idea and grand visual image. Roz az usa

Reply to
<roz

Bill Ranseen

You need something silent???

My understanding is that getting the cat wet is HALF the solution, and the other half is to make the solution nasty-tasting so that as the fastidious cat cleans itself of the distasteful water the repulsion it feels for that part of the garden is indelibly reinforced. A few spoonsful of vinegar in with the water should do the trick.

For a truly persistent trespasser, I might be tempted to add a small measure of Icapec Syrup. See whether it returns for more medicine...

Acting on advice in one of the other threads, you could try planting catnip in the middle of any traffic roundabout in your neighbourhood. ;-)

Reply to
John Savage

LOL I feel very tempted to try that after having a neighbours cat yowling under my window for the last week at 3am in the morning : )

Reply to
Catherine Caling

I've heard that crushing about 5-10 extra strength acetaminophen tablets into a fine powder and mixing with either cream, milk, or any cat favored food should stop them from returning ever again (know what I mean ...nudge nudge, wink wink)

Reply to
noone_atallus

Well I have a catnip plant in a 5-gal container surrounded by chicken wire (with the intent of drying some for a relatives cat which lives elsewhere), about 6 ft way is a 4' x 4' raised bed garden (sweet corn using the sq foot gardening method. Anyway the catnip leaves protruding thru the chicken wire are trashed to about 18" above ground level but the cat(s) seem to leave the raised bed garden alone as well as others about 30' away...maybe the catnip distracts them from laying tootsie rolls. YMMV

Steve O

Reply to
The Guy

John> Bill Ranseen >> In article , "Tmcl" >>> snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote: >> >>> how do you keep cays out of a vege plot without using a 12 bore shotgun.

John> You need something silent???

John> My understanding is that getting the cat wet is HALF the solution, and the John> other half is to make the solution nasty-tasting so that as the fastidious John> cat cleans itself of the distasteful water the repulsion it feels for that John> part of the garden is indelibly reinforced. A few spoonsful of vinegar in John> with the water should do the trick.

John> For a truly persistent trespasser, I might be tempted to add a small John> measure of Icapec Syrup. See whether it returns for more medicine...

John> Acting on advice in one of the other threads, you could try planting John> catnip in the middle of any traffic roundabout in your neighbourhood. ;-)

I wish I could get cats back into my garden.

For the last few years our young cat patrolled the yard

16 hours a day, and I had almost no problems. Now that she was eaten by a coyote the yard is overrun with chipmunks (seem to be eating my wife's flowers), rabbits (nibble on the vegies) and the deeply hated woodchucks (ate all the carrots, snap peas, beans, lettuce, zuc flowers, and most recently, cuke leaves). I caught my second yesterday, so I have some hope the zucs and cukes will come back...

Worst year yet. Damn, where are the coyotes when you need them.

Reply to
<ahall