I have rodents trying to dig near the foundation of our house this fall
trying to make their way in before winter. Any ideas on what would
discouage this. I have pets so poisons are not an option.
That seems really odd, extremely odd, to the point where frankly I have
strong doubts. One of the more common rat baits is Bromadiolone. A rodent
would have to have been marinated in it before it would cause a problem for
For example a 1 ounce tomcat brand all-weather block bat contains 0.005%,
that means 1 block has 0.005 ounce of poison, or 141.748 mg. According to
world health organization, Bromadiolone, a typical lethal dose for a rat is
1.25mg/kg. A norway rat weighs about 0.5 kg, so a lethal dose is 0.75mg, or
about 150mg of bait. About 0.005% of the bait.
Typical lethal dose (ld50) for a dog is 10mg/kg, and 25mg/kg for a cat. Any
dog that weighs more then 14 kg or a cat weight more then 3kg isn't likely
to suffer fatal effects, even if eats the entire block of bait. Or it would
have to eat a pile of dead rats.
Given all this it's highly unlikely. a pet is going to die from accidentally
eating some bait.
:) > Seal up any holes into the crawl space or foundation, use a fine wire
:) > net over vents. Have you considered using bait stations? Properly
:) > used, a dog or cat wouldn't be able to get at the bait.
:) What if a dog or cat eats the poisoned rodent?
With the most common anticoagulants, treatment is advisable if the pet
should consume 5%-10% of it's body weight with the toxin. If the rodents
in question have been feeding exclusively on the bait for two days and
then the pet ate the entire rodent right after a feeding on the bait a
10 lb. animal would have to totally consume 9-18 rats or 22-44 mice. A
25 lb. animal would need to consume 22-45 rats or 56-112 mice.
You will have to use "poisons or traps. Stopping up holes will just
result in them digging out the stuffing or digging under or around it or
If it is Gophers: Gopher poison is put down in the holes. Dog's don't
care much for the corn or the smell of the poison. It will get the rats,
chipmunks and just about anything else.
If your dog does dig due to the scent of the animal you will have to
deal with it.
Threaten to replace your lazy, lounge-about, freeloading pets with a few
Jack Russell terriers if they don't step up to the plate.
Of course, then you might have to worry about Jack Russells digging at
the foundation trying to get in.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.