How can I kill white flies

For the third year in a row my tomatoes and cucumbers are being destroyed by white flies. I've used Safer soap, Bayer Bug be Gone, and now Bonide Eight Insect control. This last has helped but not completely rid the plants of the bugs. It is expensive to use a lot. Does anyone know of anything I could use next year before the first flies appear to prevent them from doing any damage.

Reply to
Lois

Well, we used to use pieces of bright yellow plastic with a little oil spread on 'em. Seemed to pick 'em up smartly. Was cheap. Long lasting. Easy to clean/reset. And completely non-toxic

Dusty San Jose

Reply to
Dusty Bleher

What kind of oil?

Thanks, Dianna

_______________________________________________ To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

Reply to
Dianna Visek

Oh most any kind at all, Dianna (but not petroleum based oils--those would be toxic). Vegetable oil. Olive oil. Canola oil. Safflower oil. Sunflower oil. Walnut oil. Sesame oil. Peanut oil. Etc. Whatever you have sittin' around in your cupboard...the cheaper the better.

The yellow attracts 'em, and the oil nails 'em to the plastic. Then every couple of weeks we ran 'em through the dishwasher and re-oiled 'em fresh... Works like a champ.

Dusty

Reply to
Dusty Bleher

If you have the plastic, Tanglefoot should do the job.

Bill

Reply to
<salmonegg

I've used old CD's, sprayed them yellow and added Tanglefoot. Worth trying regular oils.

Reply to
The Cook

When I moved into the house I am in now, the white fly population was out of control. No, really, out of control. There were so many of the little buggers, that when they massed on my screen door at night, they cast a shadow. One of my neighbors walked through her yard to her car with a dust mask on because she was tired of having them get into her nose and mouth.

I convinced the neighbors on either side of me to stop using pesticides for a while, and I started buying and releasing lady bugs. After the first couple of releases, there was a perceptible drop in the white fly plague. The next spring, I started early, and we had even fewer white flies that summer. The third summer I didn't have to release any lady bugs, and we didn't have but a normal white fly population.

Now I occasionally see a plant with white fly, but it's nothing a bit of soapy water in a spray bottle can't handle. My success with the white fly is one reason I've looked so hard for a beneficial that will help control the thrip population.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Okay!, I don't have a big problem with white flies, but I do want to make a comment about the Lady Bugs. If what I call Lady Bugs, and what you call Lady Bugs are the same- -Be Aware. For the last 4 or 5 years, in the fall of the year we have an onslaught of these critters. They are small orange with black dots on them (that are shaped like and old VW automobile). In the fall, after the first cold snap, they start looking for a place to winter. Not only do they fly but they also crawl--and they get into every thing. Not just a few, but thousands and thousands. You go to your auto, and even with the window rolled up there will be hundreds inside. All of your outdoor light fixtures will fill up with them. I live in a rural area (lots of fields and woods) in town, they are not quite as bad, but there is plenty to go around. GIVE ME THE WHITE FLY, I can spray them.

Sorry for the negative comment, no offense intended. Rogerx.

Reply to
Rogerx

Neem oil?

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Gather them up and SELL THEM on ebay!

You can make a fortune. ;-)

I'll pay you to send me a few hundred of them.

Please?

Cheers!

Reply to
Katra

Those are the Asian lady beetles, not our usual lady bugs. And I think they bite.

Regards, Dianna

_______________________________________________ To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

Reply to
Dianna Visek

That is probably in violation of state and federal law. Note that containers, In California at least, indicate the license number of where the lady bugs were raised.

Bill

Reply to
<salmonegg

Asian lady beetles are different from the usual lady bugs. We had a lot of them several years ago. I had an awful time keeping them out of the house. You're right they do bite.

Lois

Reply to
Lois

Me Too!!

Purdy Please?

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Oh, poo, poo, poo on you, too.

Rogerx is going to be too busy shipping them to me and Katra to sell them on eBay.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

With any luck... ;-)

I hope he takes the offer seriously!

Wonder if he takes paypal???

Reply to
Katra

White flies can be eliminated by spraying with a dilute solution of Rubbing Alcohol and liquid detergent. I would use about 1-2 ounces of Rubbing Alcohol and 5 drops of liquid detergent into one gallon of water. Spray the entire plant and get beneath the leaves if possible. You may have to do this 2 or 3 times to disrupt the white fly life cycle. Another method is to liquify some "hot" cayenne peppers in a blender. Filter this thru cheese cloth. Handle with care and wear gloves! Add 5 drops of liquid detergent and dilute with water to one gallon. The liquid detergent helps the liquid adhere to the leaves and coats the white flies. You can also use natural Castille soap, instead of liquid detergent but you should thoroughly dissolve it in warm water first so that it does not clog your sprayer.

Nicky

Reply to
nterrenc