Harvesting potatoes

Good morning to the Group from Arkansas USA . My question to the group is when is the best time to dig potatoes ,when they first bloom or when the plants die? Also does removing the blooms increase the yield? thanks for all responses hlb

Reply to
HL B123

Where in Arkansas ? I'm in Stone County , north central area . I suspect my soil is a couple of years away from taters , if you look at it wrong when damp it packs hard as concrete . Needs more organic stuff , it's mostly silty clay and ... wait for it ... rocks .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I am from FT Smith in the river valley, this year has started off with too much rain which may be the cause of all the potato blooms. Stone County is a beautiful part of Arkansas. Sounds like farming could be aggravating. good nite all hlb

Reply to
HL B123

Best for what?

You can start sneaking some new potatoes any time the spuds are big enough to suit you. Otherwise, wait until the vines die back.

If mice aren't a problem, you can store them in the ground until you are ready to cellar them. If mice are a problem, you'd better hurry and get them while you can.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz