Happy Solstice

No -the split was a merlot in "convenience size" with one neighbor, prior to dinner, the rest with 5 neighbors after dinner....

I'm not likely to have anything beyond a little scotch on Xmas Eve for a while - this was highly unusual for me

Snicker - lot

What's your pleasure? I like Remy, but haven't had some in the house in quite a while

Cheryl Isaak

I'm not real fussy. Lately it has been Landy ($15) or Remy "Petit Champagne" ($19). For something similar that is domestic (Germain-Robin), I'd be looking at at least $30. But after the holidays it will be back to Jaques Bonnet ($8.69) and my budget:-(

Alles Gute,

Reply to
Billy

For sparkling wine, we like Ballatoire. ;-d

Reply to
Omelet

Well, I got really spoiled in college - lots of bad beers/wine/liquor and then was introduced to the good stuff. I'll buy the good stuff and eke it out; and do without if I need the $$$ for some kid related expense.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

I like to think that I have a paisano attitude towards my table. The bread and the wine don't have to be gold medal winners, but it has to be there. Cheap-skate oenophiles also take great pride in finding under priced wines, and buying them by the cases to hold them over until the next discovery. Then comes the question of good and gooder. Chateau Ausone sells for $800/btl but would I enjoy it 130 times more than the little Bordeaux and Cotes du Rhone that I enjoy at $5/btl? Lastly there is the question of gourmet vs. gourmand. I, wholeheartedly, embrace the later group. It would appear that you are a member of the former;-)

Allons voir, si le vin est bon.

Joyeux Noel et une Bonne Annee

Reply to
Billy

Bella, bella . We're having triffle for desert. Have you tried Quady's Black Muscat (Elysium) or their Orange Muscat (Essencia)? I think you'd like it.

Joyeux Nöel et une Bonne Année

Reply to
Billy

I love Muscat wines. :-)

Reply to
Omelet

Billy wrote:

didja notice that my "Happy Solstice" message was dated 2003? I haven't had time to write anything lately.....but happy solstice anyway.... and Happy Yule to all and hopefully the new year will bring incredible things to all of us. I am gnashing at the bit with not knowing what or where I'm going with the displacement after January 3rd when they sell my house from underneath me. Digging up perennials seems useless...........but it's good therapy. I've cut back the Deutzia and will dig it up and put it into a pot in a couple of days and winter it at a friends along with other plants I just can't seem to part with. Still packing, and in the middle of that, I'm working a full time job as a baker and all round kitchen person at a retirement village 17 miles away from where I am at for now. I come home a nub........., gather my wits and third and fifth wind and cook, do a little packing if I don't fall asleep on my feet and go to bed like some old farmer's wife........but in the wise words of "Weezie" in Steele Magnolia's" "that which does not kill us, only serves to make us stronger" sigh......right now I'm about 90! it's cold outside and we're safe and warm and there will be a Christmas dinner and some small things for Boxing day in honor of James and Patrick who are now a huge part of my life and new family. My love to all my friends here on the garden newsgroup. Please bear with me as I get my life in order. I promise to communicate when things are more settled. I appreciate each and every one of you. You are very precious and dear to me and I couldn't make it without the moral support and love that I feel coming at me from all over the world.

In the middle of it all, I used all the suet and filled all the baskets outside the bedroom window, the thistle socks are being emptied as I don't have black sunflower seed (it's too dear to buy right now, and I already had the thistle and suet as a stash). the sounds of the birds as they scrabble over the pickings, their fussing at me since I dug up the clump of Heavy Metal ornamental grass and it's sitting there beside the shepherd's hook feeder pole reminds me that where I wind up will never be as populated as it is right now and I relish and cherish every moment. I count at least seven different birds at the feeders and in the remains of the Faerie gardens which look stripped but still partially intact somehow........ While I can........

Madgardener, up on the ridge, Back in FAerie Holler, overlooking English Mountain in EAstern Tennessee near a drought stricken Douglas Lake in Dandridge, Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Reply to
madgardener

Billy wrote:

[...]

Actually, for me, wine price doesn't always equal taste (in fact on the night in question, my $5 bottle was much nicer than either of the 2 $15 bottles). But when it comes to my cognac or single malts, the equation is much more linear to a point (around $50). The difference between a 12 year old and 15 year old scotch is amazing.

Cheryl Isaak

Age in the barrel can make good distillate great. In 1990, in Gascony, we drank 15 yr. old Armagnac for $20/btl and it was heavenly. The Armagnac I have found in the US, I would only use for liniment. In 1999, the price for two glasses of the 20 yr. old Fine Champagne Cognac at a little restaurant in Paris, cost more than the meal that preceded it. I've never checked it out but I am told that because Calvados is not a big seller, that it is possible to find farmers who have barrels of 100 year old Calvados out in their barns:-o Next time.

At one point in my life I could justify the prices for such excesses as tuition, but I know it now, and I can no longer justify the price, not that I don't appreciate it, when it is offered.

The problem is that price isn't an indicator of quality. The really good stuff is always expensive but more often than not price is based on reputation, packaging, or nothing. Conversely, occasionally, quality can be found among the plonk. Gallo, Korbel, and Christian Bros. brandy I reserve for cooking.

Next monday evening will find my liver and I (and my sweetie) ensconced in front of our wood burning stove, bravely facing what will probably be another year of national disasters, and hoping for a few personal triumphs (no matter how small).

Let's rock.

Reply to
Billy

For many, a time for self-reflection. Careful when examining the core of your beliefs. You may not emerge the same person. Dave

Reply to
Dioclese

Especially if you meditate with specific herbals. ;-)

Reply to
Omelet

You mean about what happens between the dust and the ashes? Egotism mostly;-)

I have learned that I no longer need to punish, deceive, or compromise myself, unless I want to stay employed.

I'm more of a spectator, an agnostic. I know when I'm in love, or happy, or cold, or tired, or hungry, ect. The rest of the stuff seems kinda iffy (IMHO).

I haven't been the same person for quite some time. More over, there seem to be a number of personalities in here and they all say they are me. There is the one who wants to get into shape. There is the one who likes to eat and drink. There is the one who wants to be strong and brave, and there is the one who wants to lock the doors, and line the walls with sandbags, ect. Whenever I open my mouth, I am constantly surprised at who shows up to voice their (my) opinion.

Good goin' Dave. I just self-reflected;-)

Happy Hol . . . uh,

Yuletide Season :-)

Reply to
Billy