GREEN TOMATOES

I've got a good recipe for green tomato chutney, and I know they're good in some curries. Does anyone have any other ideas for their use please? With the nights getting so cold I'm wondering how long mine will last on the vine, and they're still VERY green.

Reply to
freebyrd

Have you considered rippening them off the vine? Put the green tomatoes in a papar bag with some apple slices and wait for them to turn red. They won't be as good as red tomatoes off the vine, but better than what's in the supermarket.

Sherw> I've got a good recipe for green tomato chutney, and I know they're

Reply to
sherwindu

Eat them green as fried green tomatoes. I had done so for the first time this year and they're great. No need for a fancy recipe, just fried as they are. Excellent.

Just w>I've got a good recipe for green tomato chutney, and I know they're

Reply to
Steve Newport

I don't think some of them will ripen, if I have to take mine off the vine now. But a friend is a 'panicer' and I think he's going to strip his vines before they get a chance to go much further, and, as I'm a chef he's asking me for recipes. I wouldn't normally buy them green, and this is the first year I grown them in this flat.

Reply to
freebyrd

In many tomatoes you can look at the blossom end of the green ones. If you see a white(ish) star there it is mature and will ripen.

Reply to
The Cook

I used to have an Ortho book, All About Tomatoes, that had a recipe for Green Tomato Chocolate Cake. It was really delicious, too! Try Googling for green tomato chocolate cake recipes and I bet you'll find some.

Reply to
tuckermor

The name is Mystery Fudge Cake and the recipe can be found here. I have the book but have never tried the recipe.

The Cook

Green tomato pie

Reply to
Pat

Fried Green Tomatoes!!! :-)

My sister used to raid my vines during the summer for large green ones just so she could make those.

Reply to
Omelet

Reply to
Steve Newport

"Pat" expounded:

Here's a recipe - it tastes wonderful!

Green Tomato Pie

6 each Medium-size green tomatoes 3/4 cup golden raisins 1 ½ teaspoons grated lemon rind 2 tablespoons lemon juice 1 tablespoon cider vinegar 1 ½ cups granulated sugar 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour scant 1/2 teaspoon salt ¼ teaspoon cinnamon ¼ teaspoon ground ginger 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces confectioner's sugar 1 recipe Pate Brisée (use a piecrust recipe you like, this recipe is below.) 1 Center the pastry in a 9" pie plate (the overhang will be folded up over the filling. Chill. 2 Preheat the oven to 425° 3 Wash the tomatoes and cut them into 1/8-inch-thick slices; discard the stem ends. Put the tomato slices in a large mixing bowl and add the raisins, lemon rind, lemon juice and vinegar. Stir and set aside. 4 Combine the sugar, flour, salt and spices in a small bowl. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of this mixture over the chilled pie crust and toss the rest with the sliced tomatoes. Turn the mixture into the pie crust and dot with butter. Fold the pastry up over the filling and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 325° and bake for another 50 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the crust is golden brown. 5 Let the pie cool completely before cutting; the filling is very liquid and might be runny. Dust the top of the pie with confectioners' sugar immediately before serving.

Pate Brisée (Basic Pie Crust) Makes two 8- to 10-inch single-crust pies or one 8- to 10-inch double-crust pie or twelve 2 1/2 to 3 inch tartlets.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 tsp coarse salt 1 tsp sugar 1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water 1 Place the flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor, and process for a few seconds to combine. Add the butter pieces to the flour mixture, and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds. Add the ice water in a slow, steady stream, pouring it through the feed tube with the machine running, just until the dough holds together. Do not process for more than 30 seconds. 2 Turn the dough out onto a work surface. Divide into 2 equal pieces, and place on 2 separate sheets of plastic wrap. Flatten, and form 2 disks. Wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour before using
Reply to
Ann