Green catapillars eating my basil and lettuce leaves.

Green catapillars are eating my basil and lettuce leaves. I haven't usd any pesticides. What are they and any suggestions? I'm in DC zone 6 I believe. I lost the link to the zone chart.

I found one green cat eating the leaves of my basil a couple of days ago and found one eating my lettuce leaves this morning. I took them out and put them on weeds by the fence hoping they'll eat those. lol

Thanks, Wil

Reply to
Wil

"Wil" wrote

they will multiply, get hardy and they will find where there is good eatin! prolly the same place you pick :(

Reply to
Steve Young

Hmmm ...

I am no expert, I have found on occasion what I think is commonly called a Cabbage Worm.

one I found on my plants look just like the one in the link.

Like you I have never found many of them. In my tiny garden I have never found more than ten of the big bugs in one season. I look for signs of stripped stems. Then I start to look under the leaves of the plants early in the morning or late at night. If I find one ... sorry no offence ... I am not as kind to the bugs as you are, I toss the leaf the the bug is on to the ground and smash the poor little green bug with the heal of my right boot.

When I first saw one. I put the bug with a three foot stem with the leaves in a five gallon bucket mesh cover. The next day all the leaves were gone and half the stem gone. From one little bug!

If you were like me, just one bug here or there. So I say in my unprofessional opinion --> Give the bug a boot!

If you have an infestation of the bugs, I do not know?

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

The best thing for grubs is BT (bacillus thuringiensus) (spelling?) also known as dipel and probably other names. It is non toxic and specific to grubs.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

By best for them do you mean like health food is best for human? lol

BT, is this an insecticide? Is it liquid to be sprayed on the plants? Is it powder or grainular to be spread on the soil? Is it toxic to human? Can I eat my vegies shortly after application? I'm very new to all this.

Thanks, WIl

Reply to
Wil

lol I put them very very far from my garden. I just thinking that these buggers will soon beome pretty butterflies that will come back and polinate my gardens.

Wil

Reply to
Wil

non taken, to each his own. See my response to Steve Young also please.

Wil

Reply to
Wil

And then lay eggs for more caterpillars.

Reply to
The Cook

By best for them do you mean like health food is best for human? lol

BT, is this an insecticide? Is it liquid to be sprayed on the plants? Is it powder or grainular to be spread on the soil? Is it toxic to human? Can I eat my vegies shortly after application? I'm very new to all this.

Thanks, WIl

See

David Hare-Scott