fuzzy kiwis

Thanks to all of you who provided me with so much info. about kiwis that was new to me and suggestions how I might winter over the kiwi vines I was able to grow from seeds I saved from a grocery store kiwi fruit. I have about a dozen vines, the odds are that I have both males and females. Since the two year old trunks are still bendable I will untwine them from the trellis I built, prune them back to a managable height and lay them down under hay for the winter. Another year of protection may allow them another season to increase in girth and resistance to the harshness of zone 6-7. Then I will try training the vines horizontally a few feet along the ground before trellising so I can easily mulch their trunks in fall. If they survive another winter, then in only two or three more years I might be harvesting bushels of fruit! They are amazingly vigorous vines- you could almost see them growing and in spite of the first killing frost a few days ago, those big, dark green leaves still look great. Again, I appreciate your suggestions and the information - Ken

Reply to
kettlink