Freeze

Weather heads are saying we may have a hard freeze by next week. That
means some of the garden will be pulp soon, particularly the year old
sweet peppers that are still producing quite nicely. Here we go, back to
store bought sweet peppers, mostly grown in water to get large ones
quickly. I really don't mind them as they are right tasty and last a
good while in the refrigerator.
Got up to 44F this morning and, for the first time of winter, I'm
wearing a long sleeve shirt and long pants and the heat is on in the
house. The heating system is much cheaper than electricity as we have
pretty cheap natural gas here in Texas.
At least the grass may slow down it's growth as we have to mow about
three times a month to stay ahead. We have a "tumbler" type composter
that, at the moment, stuffed full. We shred all paper and cardboard that
comes in the house and the composter gets a good bit of that plus
kitchen veggie trims, egg shells, etc. When you live on a pile of gumbo
clay you have to do something to enrich what passes for dirt here.
Lettuce, cabbage, kale, etc. plus carrots and beets are doing well in
the winter garden. Looks like we will be canning a lot of veggies before
to very long. The only cans we open nowadays are beans we can't grow
here, soups, mushrooms, etc. Heck, I even compost the labels on those
cans but have to recycle the cans themselves.
The dawg is hanging around under her afghan my elder sister made for my
dogs years ago. Plus she wants to get under the blanket now rather than
lay on top. Right now she's snoozing on the couch behind my desk chair
and brought along her afghan.
George
Reply to
George Shirley
I'm still cutting grass but nice thing, living further north, you don't have to cut grass for about 5 months. It may snow but you never need to shovel snow once a week for the whole season.
Reply to
Frank
Due to the weather here we usually have to mow year around. Helps with keeping the composter full. In the summer it feels like the hubs of Hades for four or five months sometime, otherwise it's just hot in the summer and warm in the winter. Right now it's about 55F, up about 11 degrees from waking this morning. If you don't like the weather in Harris Cty, TX wait an hour or two. I'm wearing long sweats and a long sleeved tee shirt, a heavy one too. The dawg is huddled under her blanket, in the house, kept at 75F this time of year.
George
Reply to
George Shirley
Right now it's 66 outside. I just finished some cement work and it is much nicer working outside when it is in the low 60's. We had a new deck installed a couple of weeks ago and even though it was in the upper 50's, the installers were sweating.
Funny a guy my age had his cardiologist tell him not to shovel snow but he cuts grass when it is hot but has a rider.
Reply to
Frank
I love South Texas, we rarely even see snow and, when we do, the whole area shuts down because no one knows how to drive in snow but me, spent three years in Yankee land when I was in the Navy. I don't drive in snow anymore though, we have enough home canned, store bought, etc. food in this house I think we might be able to feed the neighborhood for a few weeks. Both of us grew up in families where Dad went out to work, mine as an operator in a refinery, hers as an architect for the Navy. Seems to have worked out. My first sixteen years in a civilian job was also an operator in a chemical plant, after that I was in management until I got tired of hopping around the world and set up my own safety office to help small businesses get through the federal bog on safety. Loved that job, work two hours a day and make a good salary (a dozen clients), then your time is yours. Go hunting or fishing, work in the garden, clean the house, wash the clothes (my wife was an art teacher in a elementary school and only worked half days), it's like being paid to be retired and better than Social Security.
George
Reply to
George Shirley
We have a collie dog, and when the weather gets cold, she just gets more frisky and wants to play all the time.
Reply to
Muggles
Tilly is a ten year old Rat Terrier with short hair and a deposition for staying very close to one or the other of us. Depends on who ticked her off at the time. I think she thinks we're her pets instead of vice versa. At any rate we all love each other.
Turned out to hit 75F today, nice day but black clouds are now gathering and discussing where the lightning goes and where the rain goes.
When we bought this house, on high ground for this area, had folks come and ground the whole house, just in case.
George
Reply to
George Shirley

Site Timeline Threads