Dog eats tomatos

Our female MinPin has once again decided that our tomato plants are in *HER* yard for *HER* dining pleasure. Nice green tomatos that are lightening up are slowly picked by her, and enjoyed. I come in from watering the garden last night and there she is in the living room with a nice plump one under one paw and a look that said "What?". Sure glad I have lots of plants so we can enjoy some too. Anyone else have critters that enjoy us having a garden in *THEIR* domain?

Reply to
John DeBoo

Well, no. But only because we fenced them out of the garden.

Our two large dogs would otherwise be very happy to eat tomatoes and lots of other veggies. They wouldn't leave much for us!

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows
[...]

Well, yes, my cat enjoys it, but strictly for toilet purposes.

Reply to
Persephone

I had a two-foot tall fence around my garden just for that reason . . . to keep my dog out of the garden. Because she had so much play area, she made no attempt to go in but looked very abused when we were in the garden and told her to stay our. (She was a bit spoiled.) I had a dog this year for a short time, she spent Sunday morning under the berry bushes, laying there and enjoying dessert!

I have found the fence, even that short, discourages the cats from going in the garden though it certainly doesn't have the ability to keep them out . . . and there is no gate. They are either very smart cats or they don't like the smell of tomato plants.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

I have that beat (unfortunately)... My first Black Russian tomatoes were finally ripe. Seven beautiful dark brown tomatoes that I'd waited months to try were lovingly placed in a basket on my diningroom table. I proceeded to go ahead and make dinner. Next time I walked by the table, I noticed THREE of my brand new home grown beloved tomatoes were *gone*! No trace! Naturally, I suspected that they'd become projectiles for two of my sons. I stomped into the livingroom to find out who'd been throwing my beautiful tomatoes and where they were.... and then noticed my little cat jumping on the table, putting her head in the basket and grabbing one in her teeth! She then jumped down and ran off.. I followed, (yes, just screaming) and found her behind a chair, having a great time eating my tomato! There wasn't a thing left of the others, either! I have since tried her on cherry tomatoes and Better Boys, but she likes my Black Russians. Figures.

I now put the tomatoes away in the cabinet.

Reply to
Casey Stevens

We looked outdoors this morning and BOTH our dogs were in the garden: they've learned to put their front paws on the chicken wire fence, and bend it down. Then they step over it. We know this because that's how they got OUT of the fence, we saw it. Drat.

We're re-fencing in a week or two (for another reason) with

4' welded wire fencing, and will enclose the garden with it

- that will keep them out of the garden. That's what we have for a perimeter fence, and so far, so good.

It's not unusual: lots of dogs will enjoy lots of different veggies. We have one (a rough collie) who will eat absolutely anything that people eat, with his favorite treat being a piece of banana. Our other dog is selective about veggies and fruits, but will eat quite a few of them.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

My dog has developed a sweet tooth. She loves the cherry tomatoes because the are sweet. She REALLY loves the strawberries, blackberries and raspberries. She only picks the ripe ones!

Reply to
Rick

Oddly enough, the MinPins like oranges and other fruits. I was surprised when I gave them each a section and they scarfed it down. Four legged garbage disposals would be a better name I think.

Reply to
John DeBoo

I've enjoyed reading this thread. :-)

Your story reminds me of the time late last summer when I was out picking wild blackberries in a local park. A woman walking her two (off-leash) dogs came by. The dogs ran up to me (I was holding a large Tupperware container half-full of berries) and stood at my feet with big, expectant grins on their faces. The woman explained to me that she'd been out berry picking also, but as for the dogs, "they pick their own" and apparently they were looking to me for a handout. I had no idea dogs liked berries so much.

-- dkra

Reply to
dkra