Container Gardening

These photos will show you my deck garden.

It is quite easy to grow fruits and vegetables and flowers in containers. And they all look so lovely of a fine summer's day.

Boron Elgar

Nice. It's amazing what one can grow in containers, no?

Thanks for the tour! :-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Nice! Your lemon cucubers look so good! I only got 1 fruit from my three plants so far, but lots of flowers though. My English cucmbers have yielded five nive cukes so far and the regular cucubers have yielded 6. I got 2 green bell pepper and 20 + tomatoes so far with 2 having ripened and about to be eatened in my salad today.

My beans haven't flowered yet. I'm in DC zone 6 I think.

Thanks for the pictures!

Wil

Reply to
Wil

You are most welcome.

Your cukes should keep producing. Some years they are more prolific than others, even when the gardening methods used are the same. Mother Nature can be funny sometimes.

The lemon cukes have come in two-to-one to the Kirbys and the Japanese ones. Usually I get way more Kirby's than anything else.

The tomatoes, other than the cherries/grapes, are just starting to ripen fully. We're picking this week for the first time this season.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

I do it this way. Once you get them built, it's the laziest way to garden I know of. I've got 20 or boxes and plan on many more.

JC

I have boxes like that and have never been thrilled with the yield from them. I got all caught up in the rage of them a few years ago and have almost stopped using them

Additionally, they take more tending than regular pots, in that they do not get the benefit of any rain, but must be watered by hand. When the weather is hot here, as it gets in July and August in northern NJ, they have to be watered twice a day, rain or shine.

My last surviving earthbox one has yellow squash in it this year.

Frankly, when I used to garden down in the dirt, I'd grow my cukes each year in a cheap bag of potting soil. I'd cut a couple of holes for the "hills" and put the seedlings in. The following year, I'd use that soil for indoor plants or pots and start again.

Cukes, like tomatoes, can be susceptible to soil borne problems and changing out the soil each year for "dirt" money (someone always has a sale) worked well for me for ages.

But, the best way to garden is the whatever way makes you happiest and keeps you tending the green stuff.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

We're in south Texas and they work fine for us. We keep them shaded and don't always keep the plastic on them. I've set up a float system so they are pretty much self watering.

Reply to
JC