Concord not up yet

It is June and both my Concord grape stands ( 2 plants one, four plants another, separated by 300 ft) have not leafed out yet. They have few shoots and a few leaves that are brown, have many holes, and have shrivelled. Now due to a series of circumstances I ended up pruning them in early march, so they bled, and a hard frost in late april killed whatever was coming up. But the kiwis got the same treatment, bled much more, and are as rampant as ever. I inspected the woods and saw less grapevines and some with similar symptoms. It has to be a disease. Any idea? They have always been strong, healthy plants.

Reply to
simy1

That sounds troubling. Something certainly is wrong! The bleeding shouldn't be a factor. They say it causes no harm and I have no reason to believe other wise. I always prune mine in the fall though, because I don't like to see all that sap flowing out. You mention holes. Do you have grape flea beetles there? This is the first year I can remember NOT seeing them. Maybe they all went to your house. I've seen them so bad that they caused some new growth to turn brown and die. Never the whole vine but I suppose it could happen. I don't know of a fungus or other disease that can cause that kind of trouble, but I'm no expert on grape diseases either. I believe I could put you in touch with someone who is an expert if you need it. Damage to the trunk could kill the vine that way but what are the chances of ALL your vines being damaged all at once? About zero, that's what. Your vines may save themselves by pushing out growth later. If they manage to do that, you will get no grapes this year.

Steve

simy1 wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Don't know where you are.. because I have NO memory.. sorry about that. My grapes are growing madly, but I have noticed that the first leaves on my canadice out front were all speckled brown, but the leaves that have grown since look ok so far anyway.

I don't know what happened to the first leaves,.. late frost..don't know. As long as the newer leaves don't start showing up with the speckles.. I won't worry too much.

As to your Concords, without knowing where you are or at least the average day/night temps, it would be hard to tell what's going on. However, unless you're way north, it sounds like there is something going on that's not good.

I am always late pruning.. since the "proper pruning time" is mid February I guess. I'm not going out there in February..well.. more I can't persuade anyone else to go out there then, since I can't do much in the way of work. But, I *did* go out to a chair on a piece of plywood next to some of the more overgrown Himrod grapes and selected old wood to cut out to reduce some of the contorted growth,a nd just to reduce the growth! Those things put on 20 + feet of growth a year.

Mine drip drip drip every year, and they seem none the worse for the wear, and the birds appreciate the drink when it's not rained too much most years. It's been so unseasonably warm the past few years, I could have planted and harvested some things before I should even get the stuff planted in "normal" years. It was HOT early this spring, then got cold a week or two before Memorial day, now it's HOT again

If the Concords are still bleeding they're alive. If they got frosted recently, they have 2 sets of buds.. well flower buds at least.. I read somewhere. Maybe leaves too.

Humm re-read your post.. it's been awhile since that frost, and still nothing. Have you gone out and checked some stems.. bent to see if they're still supple? Cut through some vines to see if they're still showing the inner green ring, indicating life?

I'd call the local agricultural extension agent and see if they're getting other calls about grapes in your area. Or.. do you know of others nearby who also have grapes? If so, are theirs growing and well or having problems too?

Hope you get some answers, and I'd like to know what they are. I've noticed little spots on my grapes off and on, and have been concerned that there may be a rust of something on them, but they always seem to do ok, bear large crops and come back each year.

I know there is anthracnose in my yard and there are other "wilts" but not sure how they'd show up in a grape vine.

Janice

Reply to
Janice

Thanks to both of you. I usually prune in November, with no bleeding whatsoever (and that's the proper way. Apples need february pruning). I live 45 miles W of Detroit MI. And yes, the holes could be miners. Grapes usually leaf out in early May around here. I will wait a bit more...

Reply to
simy1

Janice, how so you like that canadice grape? I had one for several years and was never thrilled with it. They tend to make clusters that are so tight that the interior can almost crush itself. The vine turned out to be prone to getting ugly cankers on the trunk. I was never impressed with the taste either so I took it out and planted something else. I live in an area that is pretty cool all summer and with a short growing season. I wonder if they do better elsewhere? I think my favorite grape right now is Reliance. It's a nice red seedless grape with a nice flavor. Vanessa is very similar with a slightly different taste.

Steve in the Adirondacks of northern NY

Reply to
Steve

I live in Detroit. My canadice is leafed out ... has been for weeks. Sorry.

Reply to
Bill