I bought a celeriac bulb the other day, it had the celery stick and
leaves still attached. They are very very green and wilted, but I
thought I might be able to put them in stews and soups. I've frozen
them. But then I wondered, are they safe? Could they be poisonious.
Thank you for your answer, I just wondered because these were VERY
green and I was thinking of clorafil in potatoes and the nearness in
species that celery/celeriac is to rubbarb. I am a very frugal woman
and try not to waste anything.
Chlorophyll is the green part of all green plants.
The toxic part of potatoes is called solanine, and found in a lot of Solanaceous
plants (for instance green potatoes).
Rhubarb contains lots of oxalic acid. Rhubarb is not related to celery - unless
you count the fact that they're both flowering plants. Celery wouldn't have a
clue what oxalic acid looks like, let alone produce some itself ...
The dark leaf you get off a celeriac bulb can be quite a bit stronger in taste
than the pampered sun-shaded light green celery stalks, but it's the same plant
- just a different growth form.
Like you get round and oblong tomatoes - same plant, different cultivars.
Use less of your dark green leaf, unless you want the whole dish to taste of
nothing but celery.
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.henriettesherbal.com
With oxalic acid, like with many things, we are talking concentration.
Oxalic acid is generally added to store bought bread to keep it from
spoiling. You will also find it in sour grass, that so many of us
enjoyed as kids. Rhubarb leaves are the only example I can think of
where you may encounter toxic levels of oxalic acid.
Chlorophyll is not poisonous. The poison in potatoes is not chlorophyll.
You would have to be thinking in a strange way to be worried about eating a
vegetable because it was green.
Celery/celeriac is only distantly related to rhubarb and does not have the
poison that rhubarb has. Incidentally you would have to eat a vast amount
of rhubarb to poison yourself so don't lose sleep.
If you are talking about rhubarb leaves (as opposed to stalks), I
wouldn't suggest being the guinea pig on this one. I've seen
calculations based on the oxalic acid content, but it seems that there
is at least one unidentified toxin other than oxalic acid in the
leaves (at least according to
Unfortunately, all the medical journal articles on rhubarb leaf
poisoning which I've run into are not online (not even abstracts) For
example, Death of a child from oxalic acid poisoning due to eating
rhubarb leaves.; Dtsch Med Wochenschr. (1964 Dec 11) 89:2379-81.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.