Cantaloupes bearing little fruit

I have cantaloupe vines everywhere! I planted 2 cantaloupes and the plants are thriving, but I only have one cantaloupe that about the size of a large orange. This seems odd since the plant is growing and vining everywhere. There's no shortage of little yellow flowers, so I'm wondering if the problem is pollination, or lack thereof. If so, what can I do? What else could it be?

All advice/suggestions are appreciated.

Brigitte, in zone 5, southeastern Cornbraska

Reply to
Brigitte J.

Cnataloupes have male and female flowers. The male is a straight stem behind the blossom and female blossom is on a baby cantaloupe. If these baby cantaloupes are drying up and falling off after blooming then you have a pollination problem. Pollination is normally handles by insects, notably different kinds of bees. But in their absence you may try hand pollination with only two plants. You can use something like a Q-tip to transfer pollen from the male to the female flower.

On the other hand, if you have rampant vines,. the plant may just be enjoying a surplus of nutrients and feels no urgency to reproduce. Just be patient and eventually you should get cantaloupes. Next year cut way back on the fertilizer, especially the nitrogen component.

Reply to
FarmerDill