Best Rated threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Drilling holes in compost barrel
I have two barrels I got from my local Saturn dealer. They had car washing solution in them, are of the 55 gallon size and are opaque white plastic. I want to use at least one for a compost barrel...
1
1

What are these white cottony-like thingies on my plants....?
We had an extremely wet spring. And now a lot of plants in our garden have this white, cotton-like fuzzy stuff on some of the stems and stem axes. It reminds me of mealy bugs but I have only ever seen...
6
6

Zucchini oozing silicon
I have a garden that produces great zucchini, but I've noticed that when I cut them the "sweat" is a thick, silicon-like consistency. Is that a problem? What causes this?
3
3

When is Delicata squash ripe?
The Subject says it all. We just picked an unripe one and would like to do better than trial-and-error. Thanks, Bob
2
2

Suckers on Celebrity tomatoes?
I have some Celebrity tomatoes growing, They are starting suckers. Celebrities are supposedly semi-determinate. What experience do people on this group have comparing removal to non-removal of the...
4
4

Can you re-use peat pellets?
I have a bunch of peat pellets in which the seeds never germinated. They are all dried out now. Are they okay to use them again, or should I just remove the netting, crumble them up, and add them to...
16
16

Swiss Chard bolting : Still edible ?
My swiss chard has bolted some time ago. The stalks are about 3 foot tall. I am hoping to gather some seeds from it for next planting. My question is: Can we continue to eat it..? Will it still be...
13
13

Chilli Plants - New buds going yellow and dying!
Hi Guys, My chilli plants are well established now and are producing fruit but I am finding that a lot of the new buds that are forming at the top end of the plant are going yellow and dying off...
11
11

green spots in apples
I have an apple tree that produces tart green (some blush) 2-4 inch apples. The tree is loaded and apples are falling. When I started picking I noticed that there are green spots embedded in the flesh...
2
2

Pulling weeds versus hoeing?
Which would take the least total work, pulling weeds or hoeing? I know that if you can pull a weed up roots and all it can not grow back. If you just cut it off an inch or two below the ground with a...
9
9

Bramble/blackberry
I want to grow blackberries next to a wall but could it damage the wal / foundations -- davholla
1
1

"Visitacion Valley" tomato
x-no-archive: yes Has anyone here grown the "Visitacion Valley" tomato cultivar (said to have been developed in the San Francisco neighborhood of the same name)? One Web site said it was developed...

Hot Peppers - Indeterminate or Determinate ??
Are hot/chile peppers classified in these terms or is that only a tomoato thing? And while I'm on the subject, does indeterminate merely mean that it will reproduce through one growing season, or also...
5
5

Compost - Blood And Bone Meal To "Activate"?
Hi Everybody, I have read a number of times that it is good to add a bit of blood-and-bone-meal to compost, to get it working faster. This includes various Web sites, NG posts, and packaging for said...
15
15

Meyer Dwarf Lemon Tree in Oklahoma (Zone 7)
Anybody know how well a meyer dwarf lemon tree will do in oklahoma if left outside all year round? The winters have been so mild the last few years I'm wondering if one of these trees would live...
5
5

Squirrels or birds? What's digging up my pumpkin seeds?
I planted my kabocha pumpkin seeds a few days ago about an inch deep in very damp soil and again, something has been digging them up and eating the seeds, leaving the husks on the ground. Is it more...
3
3

Do groundhogs eat pumpkin vines?
I have to downsize the garden this year and thought about putting in pumpkins to take up some space. I live next to a railroad track which is a groundhog highway. There's always another one and being...
3
3

Safety of used pool filter sand
After buying a new swimming pool filter we have a lot of sand from the old filter to get rid of. Is it okay to use in a garden and other landscaping areas or is the sand too contaminated? Thanks very...
2
2

Can you buy Apple trees to plant that are already producing fruit?
Or do you have to wait 3-5 years after planting them? I want apple trees on my property but I don't want to wait 3-5 years until they produce fruit.
8
8

ants in parsley
Anyone know why ants would camp out in the upper branches of my parsely. They try to attack me when I go out to harvest the leaves. These ants are a bit over 1/8"-4mm approx- long, half red/half black...
11
11