Best berries for mass wall planting

I have about 16' of metal grating that I want to grow vines on, and thought berries, or a combination of jasmine and berries would be nice. The space faces directly north, and only gets sun until about 10 AM. The rest of the day, only reflected sunlight.

What would be a good vining berry to plant on these? Is it advisable to mix the plants like that?

Steve XXtreme SW Utah

3700' elev zone 7-8

Visit my blog at

Steve B

Google yields this:

That would *seem* to point to huckleberries and currants as your best possibilities. Check too see if they will tolerate the heat you have there.

My own thoughts are to give up on the fruiting vine and just grow ivy. Many ivys suffer in the sun and would seem well suited to your limited light.

No personal experience here, beyond having a lot of english ivy! I'm only posting because I don't believe anyone has an answer, so you are getting questionable advice instead (just so you know)!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Kiwi came to mind but temps may be of issue.

Bill

Reply to
Bill who putters

I don't have any suggestions for fruiting vines, but I would caution against growing English ivy. Here in the Pacific northwest it's considered an invasive species:

Please_reply_to_group

>>> That would *seem* to point to huckleberries and currants as your best

No doubt why I have a lot of it!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

nurseries here, but only one small town that is out to give you the right stuff, and not a lot of stuff you don't need or that is going to die. They have been there about 300 years, or a long time. I will ask them, but I like to ask here to get a little wider look.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B