bean germination rates

seem to be pretty good even for older beans.

yes, not 100%, but still good enough that i don't need to replant much by the looks of things.

i'm getting more gaps from chipmunks and rabbits at the moment, but i have plenty enough seeds to replant in the gaps if they are large enough. most the time i don't even bother because i slightly overplant so the gaps are enough space as needed.

last season i hardly planted any beans at all (two varieties). we grew too many squash and i didn't have much room or inclination i guess... this year i stopped counting number of varieties at around 50 (some might only be one or two seeds of that kind). i'm always interested to see how they all do and what new cross breeds will show up.

i have enough beans to plant quite a large area. wish i had the space to grow all of these different ones out to see how well they do.

i'm trying to rebuild up a few of my favorite fresh eating beans too (both green and wax beans) so i am hoping those will do well this season and i can have a good source of seeds for the future. as the green beans especially were from an experimental supply i won't be able to easily replace them other than by growing them. very long beans with a very narrow white seed. not easy to not eat them (i love fresh beans in the garden about as much as i like fresh peas - many don't make it out of the garden as i much prefer to carry them in my tummy :) ).

before i restart the worm buckets i'm taking the temporary extra space on the floor to get all the beans out and reorganize them so i can get them down to a bit less space for storage. that at least is the plan for the next rainy day if i get one in the next few weeks.

ok, siesta/break is over. hope everyone is enjoying their gardening season. :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird