Aaaghhhhh , wilting zucchini

I was just out on a random check of the garden , found one of my zukes in a very wilted condition ... no frass near the stem , plus I've been watching for borer eggs . Digging along the root , I found it brown and partly decomposed just below ground level . I opened the stem to check for pests , found a small red/orange something that might have been a bug , not sure . This plant looked great when I did my early-morning deer-damage inspection . It looked fine when I sprayed a protein-based deer-repellant on it later this morning ... I'm dismayed and VERY concerned as all my squashes/cukes are in this part of the garden . And my early straight-necks are already producing femsle flowers ... and my beehive was delivered earlier this week . I have two options if this is a pest , DE and DiPel . I will not use pesticides or herbicides , especially now with bees on the property . My first thought was "Oh no , I've got moles/voles !" but unfortunately it ain't that easy .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

phorbin

This is NOT damage caused by borers , I've had and dealt with them before . Plus , as I said above , I've been watching for eggs . I just checked , that plant went into a bottle of water and it has recovered somewhat - it's putting out new roots from above the damaged area .

Reply to
Terry Coombs