Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Southern Solstice 21 Dec. 12:11 US EST
we have had a light freezing rain and drizzle the past few days making the drive a skating rink. a day or two of sunshine would be nice to break that up. we haven't seen much sun at all in the past...
3
3

Molasses
No. The reason is that the amount you would have to apply to make a difference would attract ants, vermin, etc and drastically alter the balance of microorganisms and make the place smelly and sticky....
15
15

sprouts
Hi, I'm trying to locate some Peer Gynt sprout seeds, does anyone know where I can obtain some please

Victoria Plum Trees
Hi I have a number of Victoria Plum trees in my garden that are very tall the first branches start at around ten feet and are very long so it is impossible to reach the fruit. How severe a prune can...
6
6

seed catalogs
Received the first one of the season today. Tomato Growers. Does anyone actually order from these? MJ
16
16

Last Pumpkin
I was out in the pumpkin patch last weekend. I thought I'd picked all the p umpkins and squash out of that area but the cold weather here in Maryland h ad killed off a lot of the weeds. This exposed a...
1
1

Ideas for most used Fruit/Veg/Herbs for Plantable Wrapping Paper!
Hi everyone, Nick here. I've joined this forum to get some feedback on the most popular/commonly grown fruit, veg and herbs in the UK & U.S. so we can further develop our 100% Plantable Wrapping Paper...
2
2

My new favorite winter squash
The local grocery advertised kabocha squash, an Asian variety. This has got to be the best squash I've ever had. Mild & sweet. It looks like a little green pumpkin. Add some to soups & stews to help...
6
6

Refridgerated avocados: Harder to separate flesh from peel
This refridgeration of avocados after ripening works way better than the other way around. No more rotten avocados. And keeping them in the fruit drawer without a plastic bag seems good too. I'm...

Coated Seeds Question
What is the deal with these things? I have a terrible time getting them to germinate. Is it me? I have tried soaking them, I have tried scoring them. I have tried just planting them. I can't tell you...
17
17

acorn squash
years ago we'd eat them and liked them, then the stores started carrying them with little flavor so we stopped buying them. last year someone gave us a few acorn squash and we cleaned 'em out and...
21
21

N/C Ratio example
here is a pic from earlier this summer where i'd planted peas into a garden where one side was prepared by mixing in plenty of wood chips and the other side had the same treatment except i added a few...
2
2

still going
we have a dozen tomatoes on the counter top left from before the frosts came along and we were able to get the rest of the green tomatoes off the plants before they were damaged. they may not be as...
11
11

Taters ...and garlic
I planted some Yukon Gold taters last summer , and they didn't do diddly - maybe because I planted them kinda late . The rows are well defined , so I can avoid that area when I till new ground for...
8
8

a few recent pics
a few of these you might have seen before: from a berry bush the bluebirds love in the late summer/early fall: our visiting juvenile hawk that wandered around the yard for a few days: one of the many...
4
4