Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

BBC dig in seeds
My dig in sees have been sown for a few weeks now and looking nice helathy plants to take along to kids garden club I run that restarts this Sat after along cold winter. Thsi weekend kidss willbe...

Composting Rhubarb leaves?
Hi all, I cut a dozen rhubarb stalks from my yard the other day, and proceeded to put the leaves in the compost pile. I know the leaves are posionous, but does anybody know if they will break down...
9
9

How do you apply special treats to your plants?
I spray them with liquid seaweed diluted. Fish emulsion I dilute and hand pour along the edge line. I have a bucket with a link to a hose which I could siphon to a hose but did not like the idea of...
6
6

Best berries for mass wall planting
I have about 16' of metal grating that I want to grow vines on, and thought berries, or a combination of jasmine and berries would be nice. The space faces directly north, and only gets sun until...
5
5

Upside down tomatos
I was at Walgreens the other day, and saw those little plastic upside down tomato bags. $10 each .......... I don't think so. I can make some out of five gallon buckets that would be sturdier, and I...
8
8

Strawberry questions
We bought some killer one gallon strawberry plants the other day. They all have strawberries on them, some ripe. I want to grow a bunch of them. I have four 8' railroad ties. OLD railroad ties that...
18
18

I'm baaaaaaaack
I had a long absence due to illness, hospitalization, working on a website and writing a book, and all the other crud that happened in between. I'm raring and ready to get my garden started, so will...
5
5

Drainage issues after repotting
I bought some young tomato and strawberry plants today to grow in containers as I have a small garden. I planted these out using grow bag compost specifically for fruit and veg into a rattan hanging...
5
5

Watering tomato in pot.
I have a tomato in about a 10 gallon pot. I assume it takes in heat and my dry out sooner than in the ground, i have 4 inches of pine bark mulch. Last year I drench once daily about 3 in the afternoon...
10
10

Question for garlic growers
I'm growing garlic for the first time. My mistake. I won't do it again and am considering composting what's in the beds now. The garlic is inhospitable to everything that I'd normally be planting now...
22
22

Which Gardening Moves Burn Most Calories?
Which Gardening Moves Burn Most Calories? By Kiera Butler | Mon Apr. 5, 2010 2:30 AM PDT ? Image courtesy of Flickr user ezioman Last weekend, when I finally ventured into my backyard garden after a...
4
4

What ate my brassicas??!
I have just started gardening after years in a flat/prison. I have built eight raised beds and planted some brassicas in most of them. All went well for a couple of weeks and the plants established,...
7
7

Asparagus
Cut our first asparagus of 2010 this morning. Lightly steamed, placed on a slice of toasted homemade whole grain bread and topped with a poached egg. When cut, the egg yolk serves as the sauce. One of...
1
1

Creative Propagation '92
Dan, no way I can read the old version and the new to compare and contrast, The best I can do is give you the table of contents and make the observation that this previous rendition was written by...
1
1

Transplant arcane terminology
The recent post on seed propagation got me wondering if there are terms that denote a practice that is of value. Here is one I grew up with. "Mudding them in." Which suggests new transplants like it...