Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Growing green beans
Does anybody know anything about growing green beans? We've always raised green beans every year but this year it's been so hot. They're blooming but the blossoms aren't setting. People have said that...
7
7

sweet Corn
Probably a silly question.nWhats the best way to tell when sweetcorn is ready to pick? Do I pull the greenery back?
2
2

tips on growing chilli
hi ive just brought some chilli seeds (naga) and was wondering if anyone had any tips on growing them thx in advance
7
7

Compost Heap
Up against our newly erected concrete garage which gets no sun as its north facing we have made a compost construction of some timbers which made the roof of our old brick garage.(which has been...
12
12

The most droolworthy melon
Which is the best melon that you have grown in terms of intensity and quality of flavour, and sweetness? We have to get down to specific cultivars and if possible the source of the seeds, just saying...
6
6

House plants that you can eat?
I have only one that is outside in a large pot right now. That s a Kiffer Lime which flowers when I have been real good (Kidding). I love lemon grass but I'm at a loss to find other gems. Any thing I...
9
9

Summer found us
105°F in Santa Rosa, 107°F here. Opened up the house last night to cool off. The outside temp went to 53°F, the house to 70°F. The paper says it will be 99°F today, says 92°F. The heat didn't...
10
10

Pepino Melon
does anyone know anything about growing these? I was given one as a present have watered it and its had a lot of son,, keeps producing yellow flowers with a small acorn sized fruit appearing behind...
18
18

It's not Just Joel Salatin anymore
Sci Am, April 2010 Breaking the Growth Habit by Bill McKibben For the past quarter of a century, despite the rapid spread of massive-scale agribusiness farming, pesticides and genetically engineered...
116
116

What are the chances?
At the end of last summer, the chilli plants were just abandoned and left standing where they were planted. Because we aren't big chilli users, the plants still had quite a chillies left hanging on...
4
4

From seeds to nuts to soda Food control graphics
3
3

Pretty sure I know the answer, But.........
Recently moved into new house, Loveley garden but gone to seed a bit. there are two Magnolia trees in the corner, look nice but if I were here twenty years ago I would have opted for Apple trees. What...
1
1

chilies again
A few months ago me a Dutchman asked any tips on growing habanero peppers, well first of all here are the results thanks for your help, they are now turning from green to orange and I expect to...
11
11

No hope - mid August all the leaves have come off ...
I am new to gardening. I have NO clue, honestly .... I planted two pear trees in winter and have kept them hydrated (Abatte and Comice). Two weeks ago the leaves started turning black. 'Imageshack - '...
1
1

I've got honey bees
In other good news, I have a concord grape arbor in my yard. This morning I noticed that it was swarming with honey bees. I've had a few bumblebees in my yard in the spring but in very small numbers,...
30
30