Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Pre packed rhubard roots
I recently purchased a rhubard root that I purchased from my local plant shop. It was one of those that are in little plastic bags of earth sealed with a cardboard label at the top. After opening it I...
8
8

The Battle for Biodiversity
The Battle for Biodiversity: Monsanto and Farmers Clash By ANNA LAPPÉ MAR 28 2011, 12:48 PM ET Does genetic modification lead to more and better crops? Or will it destroy the foundations of our food...
3
3

Spring? !?!?
Last week in Memphis we had temps in the 70's and lower 80's . Sooooo , because of those predicted temps I went ahead and planted some lettuce and spinach for salads ... and I was actually kinda...
2
2

Growing veggies in sewage contaminated ground - how to do so safely?
We've moved into a property and I am looking to start my first veggie patch, but we discovered our sewage pipe has a small leak and so sewage water has been leaking out of a small hole, approx 8 foot...
4
4

thinning plants.
What's the advantage of thinning plants. I've never thinned plants. I just don't see the reason for digging up plants and losing some when they would of been fine .Planted where you want them the...
2
2

I got some seeds today.
Hi again, I got Some super sweet corn and chard from territorial seed co. The chard directions have me a bit miffed. It says to plant 1 month before last frost. they like cold weather , but it says...
2
2

Heirlooms and Hybrids ---May not last long
http://thurly.net/15f8 Business is booming in heirloom seeds. But for backyard gardeners, are they actually better than hybrids? Business is booming in heirloom seeds. But for backyard gardeners, are...
1
1

peach tree help
hi in new and already have a problem. i have a peach tree in my garden that i planted October 2010 and it was doing really well it just started getting spring leaves and the flowers are just about to...
1
1

Companion Planting Chart - FYI
"If I'm ever reborn, I want to be a gardener - there's too much to do for one lifetime!" - Karl Foerster, plant breeder and writer, 1874-1970 Gardening is supposed to be fun. It isn't meant to be more...
6
6

tomato withering
Hello I'm new to the forum, and new to gardening as well. I tried growing tomato plants from seeds using a propagator. When they were too big, I took them out and placed them on a window sill. After a...
3
3

Worth discussing Gunner's PDF from Linda Chalker-Scott
I for one was brought up with the idea that burning bones was a good addition to the garden soil. This evolved into a Tablespoon per bulb bone meal with a dash of dried blood. The garden myths section...
5
5

tips with pear trees
I got two european pears... one red ajou and one moonglow... does anyone have experience with these varieties? should i plant them outside or inside my garden? any general tip for these trees would be...

Topsoil or Compost
Hi I have 3 raised beds. They need topping up after settling with about 3/4 of a ton of material. I'm not sure whether to just chuck in pure compost, or topsoil, or a mix. Does sterilised/sieved...
9
9

Gardens and Worms !
I'm new here , and I've been reading and catching up a bit on the group . I'm in Memphis Tn , and after last year I'm tripling the size of my little garden plot . Had too much in too little room last...
15
15

On Microclimates
some ideas on how to protect or enhance or inhibit plant growth. In a way your home can save energy using similar info. Page does not exist http://thurly.net/148zJust