woodchips all off now what

Hi

well it took a week, working nights only to remove the woodchip of a 13'x13' room.

what do i need to do to prepare the walls for a new embossed wallpaper?

i am a novice when it comes to wallpapering.

Mark

Reply to
Mark D Smith

I did hear that embossed wallpaper is the 21st century answer to woodchip.

Do yourself a favour and for those who follow - don't do it. Just paint the walls neutral and then go mad on colour and design in soft furnishings, carpet or rugs and curtains. If the walls knackered from peeling off all that woodchip, consider getting in a plasterer to skim the walls. Expensive, but it's a long term investment.

Reply to
Mitchum

surprisingly the walls are in quite good condition. i only need to fill a few bits near the plaster coving where i was over zealous.

i could not live with the woodchip as some of it was coming off where we had a damp patch. (which is fixed now).

are you suggesting use an embossed paper or just paint the walls?

Mark

Reply to
Mark D Smith

Personally, I'd just paint the walls. To me, embossed paper is just as bad as woodchip and eventually goes tatty and/or out of fashion (if it was ever in fashion!). Just keep it plain and simple, and then you get set the mood in the room using things that can easily be changed (curtains, rugs, cushion covers, duvets, etc).

All the walls in my house are painted pure white and to me it's the easiest colour to live with. If white is too stark for you, then go for an off-white. I recently painted my mum's lounge in Dulux Natural Whicker (part of the Once range - although I did go over it twice), and it is a warm relaxing colour. Before then she had patterned wallpaper which may the room imposing and small.

Reply to
Mitchum

I agree about painting the walls. It's simple, quick, cheap, anyone can do it and if the Mrs decides she doesn't like the colour, it's going to hurt a lot less if it's painted than if it's papered. One of my friends papered the living room three times in a year! Grounds for divorce I'd say, but whatever. I do two or three rooms every year, the wife chooses the colours, I roll on the emulsion then get back on with my life.

I don't think I could be doing with all that white though.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

what do you prepare the walls with before painting / or papering? sugar soap?

Mark

Reply to
Mark D Smith

Nothing. At least if the wall isn't too bad. I fill the holes, wait till the filler is dry, sand off the ridges of filler, then a quick whizz over the rest of the wall with the sandpaper just to give the new paint a key. I might use sugar soap if the wall was bad or if there were smokers in the house.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I would use sugar soap and then clean water to get off the final bits of glue. This is important if you plan to paint straight on. I'd recommend that you line the walls first with 1400 lining paper to give you a lasting, clean finish that keeps good acoustics for the room. A lot of extra work, but worth it in the long run in my opionion.

Cheers,

Will.

Reply to
William Gould

should lining paper above the picture rail be put on horizontally as this would seem easier than doing short drops all round the room?

Mark

Reply to
Mark D Smith