wiring up UV strip light for pond filter

Can anyone help?. Went to do the pre summer check on my garden pond filter and found that the water level in the container had gone above the UV lamp and rest of the electrics. Everything bar the housing for the strip lamp, a bit of wire and the terminals for the lamp ends required replacing. Bought a new 17" 25w UV strip lamp, after a lot of trouble eventually got a ballast correct for the lamp. Replaced the starter housing and starter. Wired it up as I thought I had dismantled the old one and you guessed it, it wont work.

I will now try to explain my wiring in the hope someone can spot my mistake. I have a 240V supply with a 5amp fuse(new). I connected the earth wire to the metal base plate to which I have also attached the ballast and starter holder. The live is attached to left side of ballast. There are two wires on each of the end terminals of the strip light. For description purposes I will say wire 1 from the left side terminal is connected to the left side of the ballast in the connector just above the incoming live. Wire 2 from the left strip lamp terminal is connected to the right side of the ballast. Wire 1 from the right side strip light terminal is connected to the starter, wire 2 from that side is connected to the incomming neutral.

My thoughts are that I should probably have a wire from the starter going to both ends of the strip light not just one but I am at the guessing stage.

I am now desperate as the water is going greener as the sun goes brighter!

Reply to
taylerlee

You should have. Good guess.

Best I can do at the moment is a picture.

HTH

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth