Where to get Long Sellotape Cutting Blade...?

I was interested in purchasing a dispensing device for holding and cutting a roll of bubble wrap in, but found they were quite expensive. So I put together a basic wooden dispenser box out of a few scrap planks of chipboard.

You know the type of pointy tooth blade which is in a sellotape dispenser, well I thought if I was able to find something similar which is the height of a roll of bubble wrap (about 1m) then I could attach this to the box to make it easy to cut the bubble wrap, instead of having to cut the bubble wrap with scissors.

Would anyone know where I could get a sellotape cutting style blade which is about 1m long? Other than buying lots of selloptape dispensers and taking the small blades out of them, which would probably be quite expensive...!

Thanks...!!

Reply to
michael2003_2003

How about a kitchen foil box? they come in different lengths?

Reply to
kipper

I knew there had to be *some* use for those £1 pack of hacksaw blades.. Cutting bubble wrap is about all they are good for..

Actually, I don't think your idea will work. Sellotape tends to tear rather than stretch - unlike bubble-wrap.

I just use a craft-knife with adjustable blade length, set to the thickness of the wrap. And slice down the roll, whilst the stuff is still being supported by the layers underneath.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Genius...! Why didn't I think of that...!

Reply to
michael2003_2003

You might find a blade from a bow saw would do what you want.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

bow saw blade is the go, or do what I did and use a piece of what we call in Australia "Amplimesh" it is expanded metal mesh used for security doors - I actually used a slightly heavier grade material and cut it with snips - it works perfectly

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

I've just tried using a blade, but it doesn't seem to work.

The bubble wrap is just too stretchy and doesn't break off cleanly like sellotape does...

Might to simpler just to cut the bubble wrap with a box cutter

Reply to
michael2003_2003

I worked in a factory which used a similar machine, basically all it was a block with a blade in it which ran across two runners. I suppose a similar rig could be made quite cheaply by drilling a block of wood and passing through two lengths of dowel or copper pipe to act as runners.

Then affixing a blade underneath...if you get my drift :-)

Don

Reply to
Don Spumey