Wallpapering tip

Hi peoples,

A friend of mine recently had a relative of hers round to wallpaper her living room, he does it for a living. I am doing her house up for her and suggested she have him round as it might be quicker and he will probably do a better job than me. How wrong I was, it took him 2.5 days and his handy work was poor to say the least. I could see numerous joins in the paper where it hadn't been butted up correctly, other joins over butted up and the corners were terrible. Having a guilt trip as it was my suggestion I wondered how I could repair the damage so I got my thinking cap on. What I ended up doing was making some fairly runny polyfilla and applying it with a very small paint brush, the sort an artist uses and what a transformation that took place. I thought I would share this tip with this forum as I get so much from it from time to time. Obviously it is only useful for anaglypta or Fresco wallpaper thats going to be emulsioned over but it did the trick.

Reply to
Fred

Reading this reminded me of problems I had hanging anaglypta type papers. I have wallpapered many times and you begin to learn the different handling methods for paper, vinyl, woodchip etc but blown polysterene I found the hardest of them all when it comes to corners and neat joins! I still dont know how I should have done the corners - usually I cut the paper at a corner leaving 1" on the new wall, then overlap the next piece into the corner using a plumb-bob . But with the polystyrene papers overlapping looks horrible, and it does'nt seem as maleable as other papers for the joins - any uneveness in the walls and yes, you end up with gaps! Perhaps one of the regulars here could give some pointers for hanging this type...

Reply to
GTS

Thats easy...

Cut it right down the lenght(drop) of wallpaper of each strip with a sharp stanley blade when you come to each of the corner pieces and butt up to each other the two strips. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

What I do and it is really good is go round the corner at least 6 inches, re plumb up again on the next wall and overlap the paper into the corner. I stick a pin through the top piece of paper so to match the pattern with the underneath as best I can so in effect the patern on the paper over the top matches almost identically with the underneath. Once you hang the piece of paper get a new blade and cut through both pieces of paper but not vertically, do a curvy cut all the way down. Then when you pull the overlaped paper away and the underneath the two remaining pieces go together like a jigsaw. I have done this many times and it is a great way around the corners. I must add though it is best with paper that you are going to emulsion over.

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message news:fJswg.105685$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Reply to
Fred