Trimming doors...Again new question

I have the answer on how to trim the bottom, does anyone know how much solid wood batten is along the bottom (its the cavity, filled with cardboard cheap internal doors ) I need to take 2 cms off and wondering if there is that much there to start with.

thanks

Reply to
S S

In old 'money' the bottom rail is around 1 1/4" (3 cm) - that's assuming nothing has been already cut off the bottom.

Beware also, that the bottom rail is usually held onto the styles (sides) but rather large staples that seem to be strategically placed by the manufacturer to catch the edge of the saw or plane whenever it is cut.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Reply to
S S

You're welcome S S

Reply to
Brian G

Sorry to be pedantic but the correct spelling is STILES, this may be helpful if the OP is 'Googling'

Reply to
John

John,

I must contradict you on that from my personal experience.

But during my *FIVE* year apprenticeship many, many, many years ago, that's the way that I was taught - and old habits die hard!

It's the same as window *CILL* or door *CILL*, again that's the way that I was taught to spell it - but today, the predominant way seems to be *SILL* - ah well, times, words and spellings change!

As a matter of interest, I am sure that S S (and others) have the intelligence to be able to work out the fact that there may be more than one ways of spelling a technical term (usually dependent on the area of the country you reside in) -especially since Google will offer the option to change the spelling if it thinks the original way is incorrect - but of course, you know that!

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Hi Brian,

Interesting one this as the spelling of stiles causes major arguments here (I work for a door manufacturer) with no general agreement can I ask where (which Company) you did you apprenticeship with as it might prove a bit of a theory I have.

PS agree totally that door cill is spelt with a C :)

Reply to
JD