Sanding a concrete doorstep, what tool to use?

My mum wants me to re-paint her doorstep as the current paint is somewhat flaky.

I need to remove the current surface, but it look like too much of a job for a sander. What bit of equipment do I need? The step is stone, presumably concrete.

Once I got down to the raw stone I presumably seal it with something and then paint over the top of that, having stiff-bristle brushed it free of flaky crap of course.

Thanks in advance experts :-)

Reply to
Jon

A wire brush set for your drill will remove the paint but it may take some time if you want all the old paint removing. Another option is nitromors paint stripper.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Paint stripper heat gun.

Personally I wouldn't paint it again,Id get some terracotta tiles and sand&cement. The tiles will probably set you back about 55p a tile?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

snipped-for-privacy@h.co.uk declared for all the world to hear...

Thanks for the tip, didn't even think of that.

I think I might use some chemical paint stripper to get the bulk of it off then go over it with a heat gun to be sure.

Cheers.

Reply to
Jon

snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk declared for all the world to hear...

Thanks for the tip :-) Don't fancy using the wire brush thing as you say it will take an age to strip the whole step.

Reply to
Jon